Antilock Brakes kicking in at Low Speed on Dry Pavement?!

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Antilock Brakes kicking in at Low Speed on Dry Pavement?!

Post by chemist »

Here's an odd-ball for you. My wife is telling me that while driving in our community (all roads 25 MPH or lower) on perfectly dry pavement, the vans antilock brakes gave significant kick-back in the brake pedal upon approaching a stop sign. There was nothing abnormal about the stop--it was NOT a sudden or abrupt stop. She told me that she also felt it on putting the van in reverse to back up once it was stopped... This reminds me that over the past couple months my van has done this twice to a much lesser degree on backing out of the driveway. At the time I thought nothing of it, but now, not so sure...

What do you make of this? What should I look at? Could it be a wheel sensor, or would the antilock system just revert to standard brakes like on my older Buick once? I have NEVER had the brake lines open, so I wouldn't think air--but could it be? Anyone ever experience this one?

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Re: Antilock Brakes kicking in at Low Speed on Dry Pavement?!

Post by HPbyStan »

There is a thread on that here somewhere. I was one of those that thought the ABS just defaulted to std brakes when there was a problem BUT, sometimes you end up with NO BRAKES at all. It happened to me and I'm too old for that much excitement. The problem started like what you are describing but got worse. I unpluged all the wires going to the ABS unit and NOW I have std brakes. Not as good as ABS that works but a lot better than a system that won't let fluid pressure get anywhere.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Pull the ABS fuse for now and you should see the problem go away. The brakes will act just like standard brakes. I would suspect a wheel sensor getting dirty. The front speed sensors are in the hub bearings and the rear is done via the transfer case VSS sensor. No real easy way to clean the front sensors other than probably pulling the hub assemblies and removing the sensors. You could check to see if one of the hubs is getting worn or is already bad.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
chemist

Post by chemist »

Thanks! Hey, for now, where is the ABS fuse located? I'm assuming it's not in the standard fusebox on the driver's side, or is it?

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2007 Chevy Cobalt

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Ditto on the sensor. In my case, it caused an accident. And in my case, the sensor was falsing due to worn bearings in the thingamajiggy knuckle where my halfshaft goes thru.

PS: Yes! "thingamajiggy" is indeed a technical term :whistle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The fuse should be large 30 or 60 amp one located under the hood in the fuse box.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
chemist

Post by chemist »

Pulled the fuse. Once pulled both brake and ABS lights came on. Replaced, both went out. Pulled and test drove, drove fine. Left it out.

That said, wife gave me another usefull bit of information. She said that when this first happened to her today prior to the kickback, pedal went straight to the floor without resistance. Then next time brake applied she got the antilock kickback...WTF?! That one just doesn't make sense to me. Anyone make sense of that one?

2007 Chevy Cobalt

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

No sense here. But ABS systems will do weird things. I had a '99 cavalier that had a parking brake cable freeze up and it made the abs system clatter brakes like a jack hammer.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

ScottS

Post by ScottS »

PLEASE GET IT FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

Don't fool aroudn with t.

Yes it is the wheel speed sensors and while 99% of the time you can stop ok , the other 1% -

Park it until you fix it. Pull the fuse if you have to drive it but get it fixed.

Ask me how I knowImage
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

That is something that should have gotten GM to extend the warranty. A lot more risk envolved there than just pealing paint for an example.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
chemist

Post by chemist »

HPbyStan wrote:That is something that should have gotten GM to extend the warranty. A lot more risk envolved there than just pealing paint for an example.
Warranty?! Hell, GM SHOULD have recalled it, and given a chip that told the system to go off-line when this happened. It's criminal not to have! Their 1995 Buicks LeSabres and 1990 Corsicas had ABS systems that reverted to standard braking when the ABS sensors failed, so we know damn well they HAD the technology to make this happen. Given some of the other posts here, I wonder how many people have died from this! :-k

2007 Chevy Cobalt

Topic author
chemist

Post by chemist »

You know what, screw the ABS system given what you folks are telling me. I'll fix it, but I'm staying with standard brakes if leaving the fuse out won't cause other issues--at least then I know 100% of the time the brakes will ENGAGE... Figure, I'll put the fuse back in prior to inspections so I pass without the idiot lights...

Will I be any worse leaving the fuse out?

2007 Chevy Cobalt

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Leave the fuse out and the system reverts to standard brakes.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

stefko
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by stefko »

I have a 2000 Astro AWD Van with ABS that appears to do the same thing. At the end of a high speed stop the pedal fades and a noise is heard. I have to apply more pressure to the pedal to get the van to stop. I also felt this when stopping in reverse. At the end of the stop I fell the steering wheel pull slightly to the right. According to the Chevy service manual that I purchased for $150, the ABS system should be disabled under 8 MPH. I sense from other posts that this may not be the case. I will be pulling the fuse in the morning and giving it a test.

Is it just a cleaning of the front speed sensor that is needed. I heard from a mechanic that I just met that they change the sensors quite a bit. does anyone know of a voltage check that can be done to see if the sensor is bad?

thanks for the posts guys! :supz: Maybe the wife will be more loving when this problem is fixed.

I just finished replacing all of the rusted brake lines, master cylinder, leaking rear wheel cylinders and rear shoes. What a job!!!!!!!!!!!!! :partyman:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

On the AWD's, the front speed sensors are located in the center of the front hub bearings. You can remove them to clean them but seeing as the hub bearings are sealed, the sensor should be clean. If they are dirty, the bearings are probably starting to fail. To pull the sensors may require you to pull the hubs.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned: