Parking Brake Pad/Rotor Issues

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Parking Brake Pad/Rotor Issues

Post by Wiley »

Nothing is easy. Was hoping to install some new parking brake hardware/shoes on the 2004 AWD Astro I have never done these, but watched some videos and seems straight forward. Heres what I did, can you help?

Brake Shoes: 89026787
Rotor: 19175120

Installed the actuator as shown, pin is inside the thumb side of pic. The gap on right stays the entire time, can I get this flush somehow?
Screw is backed all the way in, there is no adjusting for the rotor as far as I can tell
Put shoe on, slide on rotor, I will need to pound it on with a rubber mallet, and the wheels wont be turning
Help!!!!
Attachments
Gap on right stays throughout process
Gap on right stays throughout process
IMG_2964.JPG
This is where it gets tight
This is where it gets tight
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Parking Brake Pad/Rotor Issues

Post by WE7X »

I am assuming you loosened up the E-brake cable adjuster....If not, you might look at that potential issue.

Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Did not, it is rusted and didn't want to make things worse, if that will affect my issue I will go ahead and tackle it, PB Blasted.

If that doesn't resolve it I may try and get my hands on another actuator set, a picture makes it look like it should be flush, maybe the LAPS part is wrong, but it is probably me who is.

I will investigate, thanks

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I have a vague memory of the rear parking brake on my 2003 AWD Astro back in 2013 when I did the brakes.
I got new rotors front and rear.
I also remember going to Harbor Freight and buying a 12" or 16" vernier caliper to measure the Inside Diameter, ID, of the rear drum inside the new rotor.

Wow, I can't remember the whole story now. I will try to look at any notes in my shop manual.

I do remember that the right rear caliper was sticking and dragging after I did the new rotor and pads. I could smell the friction material when I was driving. Also, boy does the aluminum wheel get warm/hot when the brake disc is dragging! Got a rebuilt caliper and solved the problem.

AP

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Of course I took a look at my haines last night and it mentions creating slack on the line with some locking pliers..so I bet you guys are correct that is my issue.