security system

GOT A QUESTION ON THE FACTORY SECURITY SYSTEM OR IF YOU HAVE AN AFTERMARKET SYSTEM, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

security system

Post by Moreforles »

apparently my 2000 has some sort of security system from the factory, and won't start, light on dash below the check eng light, motor just cranks, but wont turn over. So thinking it is some sort of kill switch.... any suggestions on how to disable it... I replaced the battery in the key fob... power lock remote control is working fine, but van still wont start. #-o

I can't wait to get the van back on the road, I'm tired of using my portable carpet cleaner.... and want to use my 16hp truck mount, the portable does an ok job, but makes me work to hard and takes longer....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: security system

Post by dunedog »

You just had the tranny out and in.......seems like something there might be a good place to look.
Sounds like an electric connection has come undone.
Just a thought...
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

yes the passlock system which kills the fuel pump if anyone tries to spark the wires to start it. i you dont want to have a mechanic check it out i can show you what wire to cut underneath the dash to completely turn it off :whistle:
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

unrreal wrote:yes the passlock system which kills the fuel pump if anyone tries to spark the wires to start it. i you dont want to have a mechanic check it out i can show you what wire to cut underneath the dash to completely turn it off :whistle:
that sounds like the way to go.....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

dunedog wrote:You just had the tranny out and in.......seems like something there might be a good place to look.
Sounds like an electric connection has come undone.
Just a thought...
I had the starting problem before the transmission was out... a couple days after I got it, I had let it run for several hours (while I cleaned all the crap from the back of it, looked like it been used for hauling landscaping materials in it.... after I let cool a little, I changed the oil, and went to start it again, and finally fingered the problem as the security system (after checking to see if I was getting spark, and spraying starter fluid into the air intake hose.) I changed the battery in the key fob... and viola... started again, a couple weeks later again, after backing it down to end of the driveway, and transferring my carpet cleaning machine from Safari to new Astro.... I pulled it into the back yard, and the next morning... wouldn't start again..... replaced the battery again... and still not starting.. although the key fob, still controls the power door locks fine, so its not a case of buying a battery that was dead... Stumped...... can smell gas after cranking it, so not a fuel issue, security light comes on, along with the other dash lights (which it didn't when I first got it and the check engine light didn't usually come on when I turned the key until it started, not starting....)

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

any thoughts, give me a call at (216) 789-5486 (Clean for Less, Carpet and upholstery Cleaning)

Topic author
Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

played with a little and as it happens some times, the incredibly obvious is sometimes the solution... looked closer and the coil wire was off..... #-o (doo) :whistle:

but thanks for the inputs.... now I can finish fixing my shelves in it, load up my hoses and chemicals and start using it to make money and let my wife have her Villager (quest) back...

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

well isn't it nice that the fix didn't take any money out of you pocket :supz:
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff