Can I trick the broken CD player? Auxiliary port question

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Can I trick the broken CD player? Auxiliary port question

Post by Wiley »

Lost a bulb, figured if I am going to take the head unit apart, why not get crazy. :rolleyes:

I like the stock unit, and would rather not get a new radio. My CD player is broken, but what I would like to do is put in an auxiliary port for my iphone. The problem is that you need a working CD player. Is there a way to have the cd player turn on electrically when I hit the CD button regardless to the problem, so I can see if it tricks the unit? I want it to read regardless to if there is a cd, since this procedure bypasses the audio from the CD anyway. Basically it makes a crazy noise, and will eject the CD, it will not read them, so switches back to FM rather than stay in CD mode. I dont think its possible but wanted a second opinion as my electrical understanding is weak at best.

I also would rather not buy any sort of auxiliary connector, or the external tape or cd even though I could hide that behind the dash. Once I get to a junkyard I may grab a cd player from an old radio, its easy enough to swap into my unit, if not the whole radio. If I am going to spend any money it might as well be on a new head unit, but I like the stock look, and the fact that it doesnt draw attention.

I am also aware of the add an auxiliary port sticky here, but need a how to like posted below if I plan on going that route, as there is no information in that thread which can help my terrible electrical skills.

For those wanting to add auxiliary to the newer radios, you can simply splice two internal wires and have an auxiliary port (2.99 for the aux port, + wires, solder) as long as your cd player works.

This tutorial shows which wires are needed in the newer radios, it is a different set of wires in the older models but also doable. This will not take away your CD abilities, and the people who reported sound interference have resolved it with better grounds.

The newer radio model method:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electr ... apter.html

The older radio model method (apparently it doesnt matter if your CD player works, lucky bastards):
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/ ... 045&page=2
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Can I trick the broken CD player? Auxiliary port quest

Post by Drummernaut »

Try this:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9182

Although, from what you wrote this may not be what you really want. I would be happy to fill in any details.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Can I trick the broken CD player? Auxiliary port quest

Post by Wiley »

Trying to avoid that, but good to see it in action, with diagrams and all! Thanks

Most likely I will stick with just the radio a bit longer and eventually update to a HU that has bluetooth so I can just play it wireless, as I dont think I will find the solution I am looking for.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley