where is my ignition switch? (needed for remote wire)98astro

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
Naude716
I am merely driving my van

where is my ignition switch? (needed for remote wire)98astro

Post by Naude716 »

I want to run a remote wire from my 1000w kenwood amp in the back to my ignition switch so I can wire in a cut off switch in my dash just in case I need my 12 in. kenwood subs off. I already have a small hole in my fire wall where my auto starter/alarm and amp power wires run. :rolleyes: So, Where is my ignition switch and how do I hook a remote wire to it? My after market radio does not have a remote switch wire, that is why I need it hooked to my ignition switch

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: where is my ignition switch? (needed for remote wire)98a

Post by MountainManJoe »

I'm a little unclear about your intentions.
Do you want your amp to power on when you turn your key, or do you want mount a manual switch?

Topic author
Naude716

Post by Naude716 »

I just want to run from my amp's remote terminal a wire to my ignition, so it turns on when my van turns on. Don't know where the ignition is.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Your ignition switch is located on the steering column. Note that I said ON and not IN. Remove the under dash trim panel. You'll see the bracket holding the column. DON'T loosen those nuts just yet. At the base of the column under a flap are four 10mm hex screws holding the column to the firewall. Remove those four screws. THEN, you can loosen the bolts holding the column up.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Does your amp require a constant voltage at the remote terminal, or just momentary?

If it needs constant current, you can tap into any accessory power source (hot when key is run or accessory position). Anything downstream from the "RAP" fuse under your hood will have accessory power. For example, you could tap into the the radio fuse under your dash (#2 or #17 depending on your year), or the yellow wire to your head unit.

If it needs only a momentary signal, you can use the ignition terminal as the Cap mentioned. Or, you could put a mini-fuse tap in slot #8 (crank) under your dash. I prefer the latter since it's much easier, and it can be easily put back to factory configuration.

Topic author
Naude716

Post by Naude716 »

CaptSquid wrote:Your ignition switch is located on the steering column. Note that I said ON and not IN. Remove the under dash trim panel. You'll see the bracket holding the column. DON'T loosen those nuts just yet. At the base of the column under a flap are four 10mm hex screws holding the column to the firewall. Remove those four screws. THEN, you can loosen the bolts holding the column up.
Thanks! I'll check it out as soon as the rain quits..
timelessbeing wrote:Does your amp require a constant voltage at the remote terminal, or just momentary?

If it needs constant current, you can tap into any accessory power source (hot when key is run or accessory position). Anything downstream from the "RAP" fuse under your hood will have accessory power. For example, you could tap into the the radio fuse under your dash (#2 or #17 depending on your year), or the yellow wire to your head unit.

If it needs only a momentary signal, you can use the ignition terminal as the Cap mentioned. Or, you could put a mini-fuse tap in slot #8 (crank) under your dash. I prefer the latter since it's much easier, and it can be easily put back to factory configuration.
It is unsure.. this is a new kenwood amp.. my old kenwood amp I merely bridged a wire from the power to the remote and attached a switch inbetween as a quick fix.. Pain in the ass to get to the back to turn the amp on and off every time.. this time I'd like to do it right.

JaxSPL
I get chills without my van.

Post by JaxSPL »

Behind the radio in the wiring harness for the radio there is a Yellow wire. That wire is the switched 12volt +. Run one side of the switch to that wire and the other side of the switch to the remote turn on of the amp. this will allow you to turn the amp on and off at anytime AS LONG as the ignition switch is in the in position. If the ignition switch is in the off position you will not be able to turn the amp on.

That, to me, sounded like what you wanted to do. Hope that helps.
I Am Dennis. Van is Da Boom
Florida Sales Rep for GPI Subwoofers

Topic author
Naude716

Post by Naude716 »

That would be simplest but.. I have that wire connected to my radios memory.