About the Rear radio.

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
Boricuanology
I am merely driving my van

About the Rear radio.

Post by Boricuanology »

I just got a GMC Safari, it came loaded with the exception of the rear radio. I have seen some of them at ebay but Im afraid of ordering the wrong part. Can this rear radio be swap from other cars. I have seen the Yukon has it, and also some other GMC/Chevrolet cars. My Safari is a 98. Hope you guys can help me figuring this out since they are a few on ebay that I might be beting on.
cheers!!!

Topic author
Boricuanology

Post by Boricuanology »

Comon guys help me out please!!!!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Boricuanology wrote:Comon guys help me out please!!!!
Not to worry,It isn't that no-one wants to help,its more a case of this site has had some server slowness the past 24hrs.

I've never heard of a rear radio in these vans,could you possibly be talking about rear controls for the radio? other than that can you throw up a pic of your new van? we luv's the pics,and btw welcome to the forum.

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

I don't recall seeing controls let a lone radios for the back of the Astro vans. I've seen them in the smaller vans. I could see them being installed in custom vans. Then all this would be after market.
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

There certainly were rear controls for them, I remember one of the Safaris we looked at when we were shopping around had it. Beyond that, I know nothing :)
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
Boricuanology

Post by Boricuanology »

Thaks for your replies, and you are right it is not a rear radio is more like a control that lets you connect headphones and you can hear and control the radio,cassette or cd. It looks like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Delco ... dZViewItem

This controler I saw it in a 98 that I was planning on buying till I saw my 98 Safari in mint condition in and out. The astro van had the rear control but the safari besides being mint it had the factory CD player. You probably can see what Im talking about in the factory onwners manual, at least in mines it show the rear controler that im talking about. The link above shows the controler and what Im afraid is that it looks the same. Aparently this rear controler was offer in diffrents GMC/Chevy Vans and trucks.

Topic author
Boricuanology

Post by Boricuanology »

Can anyone help me out, pleaseeeeeeee!

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

You need the 'premium radio' for this to work I believe. You probably do have it though, with the subwoofer amplifer for the back door speakers.

I have a 98 AStro LT parts van that has the rear radio module. It is part 16238115, which is different than the one you listed on the ebay auction. They certainly look the same though, I dont know if it would work or not.

You have to make a few wiring changes, I dont know if the wiring is there if you dont have the option from the factory. From what the manual shows with the connector going to the rear, it may all be there from the radio itself, but just not connected from the splice in the drivers footwell. If that is the case, with the harness from the rear it would be pretty easy.

If you are still looking for one, I will have one shortly with the rear harness as well. I havent had a chance to start taking stuff apart on this van yet though. If you want it, make me an offer. I'm assuming it works, but I will test it on my other van to make sure.

Scott

ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by ScottS »

I have this rear control in my 98, but have not tried it yet, I am not sure if the kids can listen to a CD whle I listn to the radio.

Scott post ipcs of your van , we are always looking for parts
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: About the Rear radio.

Post by GnarliSafari »

my moms has it, yes you can listen to the radio cd or tape in the rear via two earphone jacks, while the front speakers will continue playing one of the open options.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: About the Rear radio.

Post by dunedog »

The conversion hy-tops have a separate rear radio/cassette and headphone jack for the rear seats.
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch