Replacing Delco with aftermarket stereo

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Replacing Delco with aftermarket stereo

Post by MountainManJoe »

So after trying to replace burnt out button lights on my stereo, I kind of gave up and decided it would be easier just to buy a new deck. I'm a little saddened by this, because I don't like most of the modern ones out there. I like having knobs for basic controls instead of endless buttons and menus to push through. Knobs give you more precise control too. I also like how it dims with the rest of the dash, and the speed compensated volume (even though it never worked that well). On the plus side, I'll be able to listen to CDs and my iPod.

I just have a few questions, as I've never purchased/installed an after-market car stereo before.

First of all, the Theftlock. What is it? How does it work? Is this significant in replacing the stereo?

Second. Can I buy any stereo I want?

Last. What will I need to make it work in the van? I assume some kind of kit to make it fit in the gaping hole, and a wiring harness adapter.

Can anybody offer some tips?

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Replacing Delco with aftermarket stereo

Post by ihatemybike »

Theftlock is supposed to disable the stock radio should someone steal it. My experience shows it has nothing to do with aftermarket radios.

Astros are 1.5 DIN and will accept any DIN or 1.5 DIN radio. In Green, I'm using a DIN Blaupunkt Sante Fe with a adapter kit and wiring harness I bought from BestBuy. While the wiring harness is not mandatory, it makes hooking up the stereo a lot easier as you don't have to hack the stock wiring and mess around making the new connections to wires as they hang out your dash. Also, you might need a antenna adapter as the GM size is different from most aftermarket radios.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

afsigma21
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by afsigma21 »

Buy your stero from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com

If you spend more than I think $130 you get a FREE installation mounting adapter, free wiring harness and free antenna adapter all specific to your vehicle. They also send you "Master sheets" which are preprinted step by step directions specific to your vehicle.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

afsigma21 wrote:Buy your stero from Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com

If you spend more than I think $130 you get a FREE installation mounting adapter, free wiring harness and free antenna adapter all specific to your vehicle. They also send you "Master sheets" which are preprinted step by step directions specific to your vehicle.
Sounds like a good deal. Too bad they don't ship to Canada.

afsigma21
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by afsigma21 »

That is a bummer. Walmarts in Ohio carry all the mounting adapters and wiring adapters, so I imagine you can probably get them up there too, fairly cheap!

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I finally bought a new stereo.
Does anyone have a pin-out diagram for the delco stereo harness?

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

timelessbeing wrote:I finally bought a new stereo.
Does anyone have a pin-out diagram for the delco stereo harness?
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ste ... l/457.html
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Thanks. Those colours don't match mine though.

I found this one which works much better:
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf
(Mine match the "Typical New Radio Equivalent Wire Color" column)

* MODS why can't I post a PDF as an attachment? *

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I found an adapter harness (even came with an adapter for the GM antenna) Scoche brand - SP? when I installed my JVC at my local walmart along with an adapter plate. just plugged right in and all the wire were labelled correctly to attach to the new deck (as per its instructions). One way to test speakers, to determine their location and polarity if you can see them (ensure they are speaker wires) is to use a AA battery and hold one side of the speaker wire to one side of the batt and gently brush the other speaker wire to the opposite side. if it goes in you have the polarity reversed, if it goes out that means the polarity is correct.

Crutchfield has a Canadian Website also - lots of good info on both the US and Canadian site

Crutchfield Canada

Let me know if you have any luck with the wiring diagram - I think I can find one around here, somewhere - if only I know where I put it....
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Yup, I picked up a Scosche package that comes with radio connector + antenna adapter from Cambodian.. er Canadian Tire for $14.

I soldered it to the harness that came with my deck tonight. The wire colours matched up perfectly. It's too bad aftermarket stereos don't utilize the dimmer connector.

Tomorrow I do the install, and I'm making my own dash mount but I won't say why yet.... I'll post photos of the result when it's done if all goes well (crosses fingers) :D

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Well, I've been using my stereo for over a year now, but I never posted photos. The reason is because there was a second part to this project which I've been procrastinating. Well here it is finally.

On top is my Scangauge II. (see my custom codes here viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5826)

Below that is my deck. It's an Almani DVU908. I had to settle for this older 2006 model, because the selection in Canada is pitiful.
Supports any kind of source: AM/FM, CD, DVD, VCD, memory cards, USB flash drives, and Aux input.
Can play images/music/video: JPG, MP3, WMA, AVI, and MPEG.

There's a composite video cable on the back. Eventually, I want to mount a small 10" or so LCD on my visor. It will be handy if I want review trip pictures/videos from my camera, or just play a movie.
All that for $170 new. Image

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

That's looking pretty sweet. I might have to buy another SGII to mount that way.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86