Front Upper Door Speaker size

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
daytonboi
I am merely driving my van

Front Upper Door Speaker size

Post by daytonboi »

I'm new here just took the van of my grand dads hands and I want to replace the old speakers thoughout...And I noticed that there is a spot on the upper door for another speaker...I know it was part of the premium sound and just want to add that extra speaker to my van. Thanks
1996 Chevy Lumina Z34 100k mi. 3100 V6 soon swap to 3400 V6
1998 Chevy Astro AWD 143K mi. 4.3L V6 Green

cd0156
I get chills without my van.

Re: Front Upper Door Speaker size

Post by cd0156 »

What else are you doing to it? Nothing will drop right in, but you can make some aftermarket equipment fit in there. I have a component front speaker set and I cut out those plates to put my tweeters there. The reason I ask what else is being done is b/c the original radio barely has the power to drive the lower speakers, and adding more would probably not help much.. may even do more harm than good. If you are going to put in any more speakers, especially a component set, you really should have an amp.. The other problem I have found (and it may not matter if you dont really pay attention to the sound quality much) that those point downward slightly and it really throws off the imaging up front.. I am (eventually) going to mak some fiberglass inserts that reangle the tweeter to a more level position. I found if I cup my hand below it to redirect the sound up to my ear more it makes a HUGE difference.

As for your options in there besides a tweeter, the smallest aftermarket coax speakers are generally a 3.5" or a 4'. Either one could probably be made to fit, but you will be cutting the door panel out a bit and using the grill that comes with the speaker, so make sure you choose a pair that comes with grills! Your main issue will be depth.. There is not much cutting on the actual door behind the panel that can really be done. You should be able to pull that piece off with out removing the whole panel so you can see what I mean..

Also, I have never come across a van with speakers there.. I am not too sure if that was an optional speaker location or if it was where the non powered window cranks would be.. anyone have a van with something there other than the blanks?
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

I used Crutchfield to determine what would fit.
My Pioneer speakers fit with no alterations. I think they were 6".

Edit: I didn't realize you were talking about the pillar speakers

Use this link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uzU81ORuN5 ... 2Easpx&sl=
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Topic author
daytonboi

Post by daytonboi »

The stock HU is out there's a Dual headunit my cousin put in there atm. And I've seen only a few with the speaker it was normally like loaded Astros and Safaris. I might just stick with putting speakers in the lower doors and in the rear for right now, until i get a better headunit.
1996 Chevy Lumina Z34 100k mi. 3100 V6 soon swap to 3400 V6
1998 Chevy Astro AWD 143K mi. 4.3L V6 Green

SSAstro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by SSAstro »

i'll get some pics of how i did mine with infinity 3.5" speakers

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

cd0156 wrote:Also, I have never come across a van with speakers there.. I am not too sure if that was an optional speaker location or if it was where the non powered window cranks would be.. anyone have a van with something there other than the blanks?
My wife's '98 has two speakers in each door. I've never seen OEM pillar speakers in an Astro/Safari though as the Crutchfield site indicates. Anyone out there have some? That would be nice to have...
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

9dawgs wrote:My wife's '98 has two speakers in each door. I've never seen OEM pillar speakers in an Astro/Safari though as the Crutchfield site indicates. Anyone out there have some? That would be nice to have...
The pillar speakers are for the pillars next to the back doors. I'm pretty sure every one of my window vans had speakers there, only one I don't recall for sure is my 1986.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Had them in both my '90 and '99
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

My Astro has them - they are still the stock ones at the moment. My understanding is that they are 4 x 6 speakers but a shallow depth, and IF you have rear A/C even shallower as they hit something back there. I am talking about the speakers in the rear pillars next to the hatch door. I left the stock speakers and have them running off my rear channel in the aftermarket JVC headunit I installed, I installed 6 x 9's in the bottom rear doors inplace of the stock 6.5", ran them off a new amp I installed, and added a speaker plug where I can add a sub, off the bridged output of the same amp that powers the 6 x 9's. So I have the amp running of the rear RCA outputs of the deck. The front I replaced the stock 6.5" with a decent aftermarket set. That's all I did, system pounds when I have the sub in, and is decent with just the 6 x 9's and upgraded speakers. I know I took some photo's in a previous thread, just do a search if you want more info, lots of stereo upgrades in here.
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

ihatemybike wrote:The pillar speakers are for the pillars next to the back doors. I'm pretty sure every one of my window vans had speakers there, only one I don't recall for sure is my 1986.
Oh, well I have them too. I thought you were talking about the front pillars on either side of the windshield. My bad....

My '99 Landrover Discovery has pillar speakers in the front and they sound great.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)