Dynamat. How much is needed?

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Dynamat. How much is needed?

Post by astronut74 »

I know there are several people that might know the answer, but how many bulk packs are needed for full coverage (including the roof-- especially the roof!) of an EXT model window van?

I've read on other forums where 4 bulk packs were used on small cars such as a prelude or civic. But I thought that was a bit excessive for a smal car. Heck I was thinking that's as much as I'd need for the van.

So how much are we talking about?
Thanks in advance,
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Dynamat. How much is needed?

Post by violent b »

I've got a 95 Astro and I used 54 boxes of 4 square feet sound deadening stuff, so 216 square feet of stuff. each box had (2) 1'x2' sheets of aluminum backed sound deadening. My roof is double layered and just about every inch is covered. That was a project, let me tell you.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I wish I could remember how much I bought, I did this a few months ago. And I believe I used 100sq ft of Fatmat to do the floor in the cargo area, and the sides. I had a small leftover roll of another brand that I used to do the front doors and slider, plus the front floor under the front seats. So I am guessing you will need 200 sq ft. But the best way would be to just measure the width/length inside the van and get the area, add it all up on the spaces you want to do. Here's the stuff I used, you may be able to find it a little cheaper, just the first thing I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-FatM ... 0073898692
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Thanks again for the replies,
So based on you both have said, roughly 200 sq ft. it's best to order a little extra as well, So Id' be looking at 6-7 packs of dynamat extreme. Cheapest I've seen for that is $158 per bulk pack. :yikes: :yikes:
That's close to a thousand bucks!!!
That Fatmat is looking better and better. Was it a pain to install? (besides the expected labourous job of applying it)
Voilent b, what brand dampner do you use?
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

I would recommend nothing else other than Fatmat. I have used Fatmat, Dynamat, and 2 other brands. Fatmat is the cheapest, stickest, and more flexible than some of the others. Believe me, it's not worth the money to blow on Dynamat. This stuff is just like Dynamat extreme, it has the aluminum coating on it, etc.

It also isn't a total pain in the ass to install. I found it more annoying taking everything out, and putting it all back together. The roller they provide makes it so much easier to install. Well.... HAVE FUN! \:D/
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by violent b »

the company I work for sells "Silence It", it's like the Dynamat brand with the aluminum face. at the time we had some old stock, so I was in the right place at the right time. I've used all kinds of sound deadener and the stuff I liked the best was made by Cascade. I don't know if they still make it but it was really easy to conform to curves and corners. I don't rememner how much it was but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they still sell the cascade brand. I remember seeing it in my Parts Express catalog, but your right, it isn't cheap!
Just a quick look at the prices it looks more expensive than the dynamat.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT

jhr400ex
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by jhr400ex »

Check out http://www.secondskinaudio.com. I've used the damplifier pro and it is absolutely great.
89 Safari rwd - V8 swap in progress
93 Astro Awd