head unit?

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

head unit?

Post by midnighthunder89 »

Hello someone at my school has a Panasonic CQ7401 head unit. does anyone know anything about it? is it a good head unit it is a 2005 and he wants 100$ is that reasonable or would i be better just installing a new one? what do you think.
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

betz
I get chills without my van.

Re: head unit?

Post by betz »

I googled for it but couldn't find much. I would highly reccomend going with something new that has a USB port. I have a Kenwood MP535U in my van (put it in over Thanksgiving) and it is awesome. It was relatively inexpensive, allows me to run my Sub with dash controls, gives my a USB port and an aux-in phone jack. Honestly, I don't listen to CD's in it anymore, or even my iPod (which is also compatible with this stereo). I just put my music on my 4GB usb jump drive, and I have all the music I need for a LONG time. And the sound quality is excellent. My Avalon has a 2-din Kenwood DPX 502. Pretty much same as my other one, but it is 2-DIN and bothe the USB and AUX ports are on the front. On my other one, only USB is on the front, Aux is on the back. Not an issue though.

In terms of my opinions - I like volume knobs more than buttons. If you listen to CDs a lot, get one that you don't have to flip the face down to put the disc in. If you like sound qualty, make sure you can at least adjust bass, mid, and treble. If you want top of the line go with an Alpine. If you want a really good deck for a really good price with lots of features, go for a Kenwood. USB port on the front is great, then again, it is always easy to run the USB extension cord into your glove box so that it is out of the way, and just stick your memory stick in it and let it be.

Final thoughts: Order from sonicelectronix.com, best prices, great service, and they send you the mounting kit and wire harness for free. I bought both my decks, plus an amp and sub from them. Go with a USB model! Kenwood is a great brand! Kenwood MP 438U gives you all that you need for only $130. If you want a nicer screen and slightly easier to operate, go with the MP 538U for $150. Well worth the 20 bucks, and it'll be a great deck for a long time!

Good luck!
2005 Chevy Astro AWD 108,000
4" lift from Overland Vans w/Rancho 5000's
Belltech Rear Anti-Sway bar (mounted on top of axle)
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar
BFG ATs and spots that required trimming to make 'em fit

Topic author
midnighthunder89

Thank you I have not found anything on the one for sale I will look into the other head units I have wanted for for a long time since the delco doesn't work well at all.. Thanks for all your input. BTW where are you in the UP i am at MTU
99 sle awd safari

betz

Post by betz »

No prob.

My bro, sister, and bro-in-law all graduated from MTU.
I live in Rapid River, which is an hour south of Marquette. Just 20 mins east of Escanaba.

Holy crap, did you get snow last night like we did?

http://mjb.selfip.com/snow
2005 Chevy Astro AWD 108,000
4" lift from Overland Vans w/Rancho 5000's
Belltech Rear Anti-Sway bar (mounted on top of axle)
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar
BFG ATs and spots that required trimming to make 'em fit

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

betz wrote:I would highly reccomend going with something new that has a USB port.
I agree. You can find some better headunits for a cheaper price which are brand new.
You could also check craigslist for some decent headunits for sale at a cheap price.
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
midnighthunder89

I think you got alot more snow than us everything went south we just got a little.
99 sle awd safari

moboman

Post by moboman »

I'd say if you go with a used head unit, make sure it is from someone you know pretty well, someone you can trust not to screw you.

As for a hundred bucks,... What features do you really need? You just want a replacement for the stock? A cheap JVC/pioneer/alpine/kenwood would work for that. Those are good brands, I'd normally recommend staying away from the other brands of mass produced head units.

I got a JVC headunit with aux in for 116 and change shipped to me from best buy. (I had gift cards). Its a great HU! Its now been in 3 different cars in the past year.

You could always go the carputer route!