Rear Door Speakers and Mystery Wiring

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Rear Door Speakers and Mystery Wiring

Post by thevalleyboy »

So I am going through the motions on installing new speakers in my rear doors, drivers side is good - nothing unexpected. Passenger Door I remove the speaker and find additional wires that I was not expecting - I realize that this side has additional wiring to the rear license plate light, but what is this 4 wire harness (refer to attached photo). I assume it is an additional trailer wiring hookup? I already have the lager trailer wiring loom wired to an 9 pin plug on the bumper so just curious - anyone know what this is? We're talking a 2001 Astro AWD LT - refer also to sig. below...

Thanks one and all! Cheers

Mystery Wiring
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Re: Rear Door Speakers and Mystery Wiring

Post by thevalleyboy »

BUMP - just wanting to get this in the radar - after tonight if I don't get an answer I'll (and after I renew my library card) I'll pull the wiring diagrams and see if I can track it down.
Calgary, Alberta

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hmmm no clue. The trailer wire which you mentioned you have already (which is from the jack compartment) so I dont know what this is yet. I jumped on the 12volt site and didnt see anything. Anyone else?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

One last bump before I let this issue die - and then really dig into it this weekend - of course when I figure out what these are I'll keep everyone posted.
Calgary, Alberta

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Do you have the dutch doors? Could it be for a rear window defrost or wiper? :-k
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I'm not sure but it looks like a plug that would connect to a motor. My guess is wiper but that's usually not an option but a standard item isn't it ? Guess the later vans had rear wipers,,right ? If they were equipt with wipers as a standard maybe you've had a door replaced that may not have had a rear wiper.
Just a guess now,,I don't have a clue what came with the later models and what didn't but it sounds good. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Hmmm Just as mentioned above what doors you got? I dont have that wire but I do have the Dutch style not Barn doors therefore I have whipper and glass defrost option and hooked up.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

From what I gather he has dutch doors. My question is, does he have power locks and if so do the work the lower doors unlock properly? To me the only logical things wired into the passenger side door would be power locks, plate light, and speaker. Defrost and wiper would be wired into the lift gate. Maybe it's an unused barn door defrost connection. Could use a check light to see if any of the wires are live, then check again after the rear defrost is turned on.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

ihatemybike wrote: Defrost and wiper would be wired into the lift gate. Maybe it's an unused barn door defrost connection.

Good thinking. If he has Dutch doors it isnt for wipers or defrost. If Barn door maybe still as well you know GM just leaves things laying around ;p

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Thanks for all the ideas - I do have dutch doors! I have been looking at wiring schematics this morning and thinking - hey maybe its something left over from the cargo door type vans..... so now even more so.

Correct me if I am wrong - but in my lift gate I have the wiring for the defrost, wiper, and locks. I don't beleive there is any lock in the dutch style lower doors is there? Don't they just rely on the upper gate latching over the lower doors?

I'll get the meter and test light out this weekend to try and nail this down....
Calgary, Alberta

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Uh the lower part locks with the keyhole .... meaning if you dont use the key to lock the lower part then the lift gate is what keeps it locked. Go pull your lower doors while the lift gate is shut, you'll see what I mean - unless my doors are different ... aka broken -_-

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

thevalleyboy wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong - but in my lift gate I have the wiring for the defrost, wiper, and locks. I don't beleive there is any lock in the dutch style lower doors is there? Don't they just rely on the upper gate latching over the lower doors?

I'll get the meter and test light out this weekend to try and nail this down....
On my '94 LT ,the wiring runs to the speaker,license plate light,and both the key lock and door latch. Sounds like one of the locks wires are disconnected.Let us know how you make out.
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

snapple wrote:
thevalleyboy wrote:

On my '94 LT ,the wiring runs to the speaker,license plate light,and both the key lock and door latch. Sounds like one of the locks wires are disconnected.Let us know how you make out.
On the earlier dutch door vans, there was a switch that took a key that opened the hatch right by the licence plate. It had a similar looking plug. I put a push button above the license plate (kind of by the lamp) and hooked the wires to it. Couldn't see it, and didn't need a key.

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Confirmed that it is not the power door lock wiring - that works fine....
Calgary, Alberta

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Well I hate to admit it - but I give up - tried the defrost - wiper - door locks - audio system? - aux. lighting (worth a guess) - trailer wiring (another set?) - but I cannot find a use for these wires - so they are taped up and returned to the passenger side dutch door cavity for a time... so the mystery continues.... Cheers to the treasure hunters whom helped....
Calgary, Alberta