6 x 9 speakers for the rear doors

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

6 x 9 speakers for the rear doors

Post by thevalleyboy »

Anyone have any recommendation/experience with new 6 x 9 speakers? I can get a great deal on a Pair of Sony XSV6942A but does anyone have any experience with recent Sony 6 x 9's? I used to own a few pairs of Pioneer 6 x 9's and had good luck with them... I am looking for under $100 bones speakers not the fancy Kevlar suckers... they are a little harder on the budget. Please share your thoughts. Cheers
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta

Hotroder383
I get chills without my van.

Re: 6 x 9 speakers for the rear doors

Post by Hotroder383 »

My entire system is Sony, all bought from Wal-Mart except for the older Sony comp amp. I can honestly say it sounds good, wont blow the doors off or rattle any buildings but at my age a pair of 12's, two 6X9's in the rear seat, two 6.5 inch in front das an 4 inch in rear pillers by door it gets way louder than i ever need.
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Just be sure the speakers do not have paper cones, those never last long. I'm a fan of MTX for both quality and price. I've used them for nearly 20 years in a number of my cars.

In blew expanding insulation into my rear door cracks and installed a 12" woofer in each. Didn't really seal it 100% nor does it really provide the needed air displacement for them but overall they mounted well, look great and sound huge.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by violent b »

all I can tell you is make sure you listen to the speakers before you buy. Just because you keep all one brand doesn't mean that the speakers will sound good. I like keeping the same brand but sometimes there is a need to switch over to some other brands.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

In the Safari (and not done yet) using Boston Acoustic S75 (6 1/2) and S65 (4x6) Speakers.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

Well I got the 6 x 9's today - a pair of Sony XS-GT6935A - I replaced the rear 6.5" speaker and still have them running of the stock amp. Lots more low end just with this change. Of course the install included a trimming the door panel and cutting the steel behind. I took out the old dremmel with the flex-shaft and a cutting wheel and cut the panel(after tracing the pattern), then the tin snips to trim out the steel. A few wood blocks glued in place to fill the spacing between the stock panel and the steel behind, pre-drilled the screw holes and I was home.... oh ya I had to solider on the new wires to connect to the speakers. Then I decided to replace the front stock 6.5" speakers - got some Kenwood KFC-1661S - and changed those out - you don't need to remove the entire door panel - just the speaker grill - BEWARE at the top there is some sort of bolt holding the plastic pin - its a pain to remove - infact I broke mine - oh well they'll be easier to remove next time - the clips hold it in place fine. Still have the stock rear pillar 4 x 6 speakers - but when I find a sweet deal those might go also.

As for the sound MUCH BETTER. I have an after market deck - and it sounded like crap before the speaker change. FYI - Deck is the JVC KD-PDR50 - with the IPod adapter (for my wife's IPod) and front AUX input (for my old 30GB Creative MP3)

Next it's time to finish hooking up my stealth amp install - a SONY XM1002HX - hook that to the rear 6 x 9's and bypass the stock amp/eq - and install a subwoofer speaker connector. This way when I am not hauling anything I can stuff in my old sub, and when I need cargo room I can unplug it. Stay Tuned - another update will come after amp hook up and photo's of the sub connector. :supz:
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta