Driver door lock/unlock "dead switch" problem: Safari-2003

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
Java Junkie
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Driver door lock/unlock "dead switch" problem: Safari-2003

Post by Java Junkie »

2003 Safari
Same stupid truck: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8770

This started this today.
I can not use the driver door lock/unlock switch to lock or unlock any of the doors when exiting once the motor is off and radio turns off (automatically when door opens).
Its like the driver's lock/unlock switch is totally dead.
No relay click noises or anything.

The alarm remote can lock/unlock all doors anytime. Alarm is Astrogard brand, after market.
The passenger door can lock/unlock anytime.
The driver door switch can lock/unlock when engine running, or just turned off (but door not yet opened, radio "on").

The auto-lock feature (when shifted in/out of park) works, of course engine still running.
I just turned this feature on using the programming steps in the manual after I noticed the problem (to test BCM).
To program it, the lock/unlock switch must be in working condition, and seen by BCM.
Actually, I was hoping turning this feature on/off would reset the BCM, and fix the problem. Didn't.

The door pins work, because it knows when I open the door, it turns off the radio, and lock switch stops working.
The solinoid works, because the alarm, passenger door switch can always work it.
The drivers door switch works, because the switch (lock/unlock) works when engine running, and for programming functions.

Last month I replaced the battery, it's cold here (too) and I have the block heater and batt warmer on all night.
Last week when arming the alarm, the alarm complained one of the doors wasn't fully closed when arming. Not anymore.

Has anyone seen/ solved this problem ?

Is there a way to erase the computer and make it re-learn everything?
Will disconnecting the battery erase stuff ?

I have not done any scans on it lately, and do not own a scan tool. Might be able to borrow use of one.
I have not looked at door lock circuits yet, as I don't know where they are right now.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Driver door lock/unlock "dead switch" problem: Safari-20

Post by Herbie »

You'd have to check the wiring diagrams to be certain, but I'm guessing the positive feed to the door locks comes from two different places, depending on if you're in "retained accessory power" mode or not. My guess is you have a popped fuse or other open circuit in the other half of the supply chain.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Driver door lock/unlock "dead switch" problem: Safari-20

Post by Meterpig »

Just for clarification, can you lock/unlock the doors inside the car once you have opened the door with the door locks?

Java Junkie wrote:2003 Safari
Same stupid truck: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8770

This started this today.
I can not use the driver door lock/unlock switch to lock or unlock any of the doors when exiting once the motor is off and radio turns off (automatically when door opens).
Its like the driver's lock/unlock switch is totally dead.
No relay click noises or anything.

The alarm remote can lock/unlock all doors anytime. Alarm is Astrogard brand, after market.
The passenger door can lock/unlock anytime.
The driver door switch can lock/unlock when engine running, or just turned off (but door not yet opened, radio "on").

The auto-lock feature (when shifted in/out of park) works, of course engine still running.
I just turned this feature on using the programming steps in the manual after I noticed the problem (to test BCM).
To program it, the lock/unlock switch must be in working condition, and seen by BCM.
Actually, I was hoping turning this feature on/off would reset the BCM, and fix the problem. Didn't.

The door pins work, because it knows when I open the door, it turns off the radio, and lock switch stops working.
The solinoid works, because the alarm, passenger door switch can always work it.
The drivers door switch works, because the switch (lock/unlock) works when engine running, and for programming functions.

Last month I replaced the battery, it's cold here (too) and I have the block heater and batt warmer on all night.
Last week when arming the alarm, the alarm complained one of the doors wasn't fully closed when arming. Not anymore.

Has anyone seen/ solved this problem ?

Is there a way to erase the computer and make it re-learn everything?
Will disconnecting the battery erase stuff ?

I have not done any scans on it lately, and do not own a scan tool. Might be able to borrow use of one.
I have not looked at door lock circuits yet, as I don't know where they are right now.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz