Switching from Stock Dome lights to LED dome lights!

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
SilverBullet1997
I get chills without my van.

Switching from Stock Dome lights to LED dome lights!

Post by SilverBullet1997 »

I posted this on the other site, but didn't want to leave you guys out of the loop so here we go!

For under 20$ you can improve the light quality in your van and cut down the discharge of your battery!

I am sure this has all happened to us once or twice, we go out to the car at night to try to find something and we turn on the dome lights or one of the map lights, the next morning we go back out to our van to start it up for work, and the battery is dead, that is when we realized that we left the dome lights on! :doh: ....

In my 97 Passenger Van, The dome lights turn on 6 #212-2 Bulbs Image, one in each door well, and 1 in each dome light all the way back, these 6 bulbs can effectively drain the battery real quick.

So I decided to see what switching over to LED would be like.

At first I just bought three 42 LED Panels from Yallstock on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320959455679?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I bought 3 of them at 2.74$ each with free shipping, when I got them I went to install them and decided I needed 2 up front to balance out the light up front so they weren't just sitting directly in the middle or off to one side... So I soldered two wires together and stuck two up front and one in the middle row dome light.

The difference in the amount of light vs the stock bulbs was amazing, not only were they brighter but provided a cleaner white light than the golden hue of the dim stock bulbs...

But than I was thinking, okay now I need to order another 48 panel for the rear dome light above the hatch, because I had only bought 3 originally I knew I needed one more, and I said well I still have the door wells to deal with, what is the point of only going half LED if the door-well lights are still going to run down the battery. So I said what the hey and figured I would buy 4 more of the larger panels, I kind of wanted to see what 4 48LED panels would look like up front because I knew they would fit by test fitting two side by side up front....

So I ordered 4 more panels and some LED's for the door-wells also, I wanted the biggest bulb I knew I could fit in there so I ordered 4(as they were marketed as 2x) 42mm 16 LED panels and were 1.80$ for two plus 0.99$ for shipping(yea I could have probably got them cheaper but I was happy with the first shipment I got from yallstock) http://www.ebay.com/itm/400365160801?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Once I got the new shipment in I stuck all the 16 led panels in the door-wells and one in the back dome-light as the spot is not ready to accept a 48 led panel, yet... There are two plastic posts in there that look like they really do nothing so I am going to cut those out and than probably stick two more 48 led panels back there.
That night I decided to leave my dome lights on over night, turned off the van, and then turned it back on for one minute right before engine start so I could look at the battery gauge, in the morning (about 12 hours later) I turned the van back on for a minute to check the battery gauge before I started it and it didn't even look like it moved over night!

So I knew the LEDs would not be killing my battery any time soon.

I was so happy with the LED's I also decided to convert the map lights over as well, and purchased some more bulbs for those.
I ordered 10 wedge bulbs for 4.99$ with free shipping from yallstock.
10 PCS T10 W5W 194 168 501 Car White 8 LED Light Bulb Lamp 3020 SMD Wedge Side
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400718384771?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I knew these bulbs were going to need a little modification to fit in to the stock map light projector housings, but figured I had 10 to experiment with...

These I had to trim the outer lip off of the led housing to make them fit, I used a toe nail clipper as it seemed to be the safest way to do it, as opposed to using a knife or sanding the plastic away.

Now time for some pictures.

Front dome:
I scuffed up the metal pads on the ends of the springs with sand paper so the solder would stick to it, and made the 4 way wiring harness.
Installed
On
Covered

Middle Dome:
Installed
On
Covered

Rear dome(still have yet to put a 48LED panel as I am waiting for my third shipment :whistle:)
You can see the bulb I have in there now which is pretty good, and really don't need more as this one is pretty adequate but, go big or go home, right?!

Door-well lights:
Installed
On
Covered

Map Lights:
Here you can see the difference between the standard map and the led light.

I am going to try to get out and take some pics at night to show the brightness in the van compared to the old bulbs(which will mean i will have to stick an old bulb in there to take the pics because i didn't take any before pics)
But this should give you an idea of what is possible, let me just tell you the difference is Night and Day!!! Literally!

On a side note:
I ended up putting bulbs in my roommates honda and toyota pickup truck, once again the change was like night and day, before you could barely see, now you can see everything inside.
Here is a couple videos of my first van offroading at Tahuya WA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFaZXo2KL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1zn5ppLI6g
R.I.P 1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended
1999 Astro AWD SilverBullet II 1-4-1999 - Present

5" lift, 31x1050r15 tires. 7 inches over stock

Topic author
SilverBullet1997

Re: Switching from Stock Dome lights to LED dome lights!

Wow, this topic on this site has not received any love...... Got a few views but no comments......

Anyways....... Here is an update........

My van is a mess right now, as I haven't had a chance to really clean it out since my last camping trip other than to remove all the camping gear.... Anyways I took some 'before' and 'after pics' (old bulb vs LED bulb)

My camera is just a old POS, and doesn't really allow me to control the fstops, ISO speed or anything....

I think these photos really show it in it's most life-like form, this is taken from the back window looking in.
Old bulb: F-#: 3.3 Exposure time: 1 sec ISO:800
New LED: F-#: 3.7 Exposure time: 1 sec ISO:800

With the rear hatch open
Old bulb: F-#: 3.3 Exposure time: 1 sec ISO:640
New LED: F-#: 3.7 Exposure time: 1/4 sec ISO:400 (as you can see the shutter stayed open for a lot shorter time to capture the light from this pic)

Map light difference:
Old bulb: F-#: 3.3 Exposure time: 1 sec ISO:640
New LED: F-#: 3.3 Exposure time: 1 sec ISO:400

I wasn't planning on taking these till after I cleaned the van this weekend, but wanted to get the pics up, I will try to take some better ones and control the camera a little bit if I can. But I think you can get the jist of it, the difference in my buddies 2000 honda and 1990 toyota pickup are really really significant, if I can, I will try to take pics of those this weekend also.
R.I.P 1997 Astro AWD SilverBullet 4-9-1997 to 2-17-2015 - Cause of death: Rear-ended

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Thank you for the great report on the LED dome lights. This will make the dark evenings of Fall and Winter easier to manage.

Better living through semi conductors , Wow. Great job.

I wonder if some of the LED stores in Calif. have the bulbs in stock so I don't have to order on Ebay.

The pure white light is awesome.. Wow, I wonder if you could add a dimmer ckt of some sort with a variable resistor or pulse width modulation dimmer???

thanks again for the great ideas.

I have a 12 VDC mini florescent from West Marine mounted in the back of my 2003 Astro 8 passenger AWD. I just plug it into the extra 12 V socket at the left rear of the van.

AP

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Wow, that is a worthy upgrade! As I get older and my eyes too... I like lots of light!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Excellent post. I've been looking at LED's for some time. It's time to make some changes.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
SilverBullet1997

Woohoo! This thread did get some love! Thanks for the positive comments guys!

The LEDS really are night and day! It is hard to capture the difference via camera(at least my shitty automatic camera).

They really have such a low power draw that I could probably run them for a week and still be able to start the van!

I took them out camping, I had my inverter on with my boombox plugged in on full blast and the dome lights on for 3 hours, and didn't have a problem starting the van.

From now on all my vehicles I own I will outfit with LED.