Speedo and Guages Stopped Working

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
barnaclebill
I am merely driving my van

Speedo and Guages Stopped Working

Post by barnaclebill »

I have a 99 Safari, all the guages and speedometer stopped working about a month ago. I checked the fuse under the dash marked 'GAUGES' and it was good and there was 12 volts there with the key on.

A couple days later they started working and I was happy.

A week ago they quit again and have not come back. I did the checks again and the fuse was good and there was power there.

When I turn the key on, the gas and temp guage spin and stop on empty and hot, when I turn the key off, gas shows quarter tank and temp reads cold.

Turn signals and everything else seem to work OK.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Speedo and Guages Stopped Working

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Kinda sounds like maybe the big plug that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster could be loose.
Have you or the PO ever taken out the instrument cluster?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
barnaclebill

Re: Speedo and Guages Stopped Working

Post by barnaclebill »

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't really want to go digging into the dash because all the plastic trim is crumbling, but I did and every piece broke, no way to put it back together, but I don't really care as it is just an old work van.

I didn't see a big plug on the back, just a flat multiwire strip like in a computer going into the bottom of the cluster. tried to get the connecter off, could not figure out how.

I hate how these newer vehicals are made, not designed to be repaired, I wish I kept my 55 Chevy.

It would be nice to have a gas guage and a temp guage, the others I don't need, do not need the speedometer as I never go out of town with this truck and the town is only a couple miles long and one block wide on either side of the road, then you are in the water.