Stuck rear hatch

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Stuck rear hatch

Post by astrojohn »

I have a 2000 Astro, with the dutch doors.
I'm having trouble with the rear hatch release.
I had found a bad fuse under the dash (30amp) and replaced it. It worked for 2 days , now I can't get it to open again.
I checked the fuse and it's good.
Is there a manual release lever or cable that I can use to open the darn thing.
Any ideas, beside breaking the glass, will come in handy. Also is there something I need to look at and replace or repair, to get it to work properly again.
I never turn down good advice, so........

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Stuck rear hatch

Post by 1Gary »

John on my 1994 I had to remove the inside panel the surrounds the window to get to the rods that go across.I don't know if the newer versions are different.Maybe some will chime in that owns something closer to your yr van.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Do you hear the latch relesing, but nothing happens? Mine sticks intermittently. I find if I push on the lower lefthand corner of the hatch while pressing the button it will release, and I can then open the hatch, though it may take 2 of 3 tries pushing it in while hitting the button and then pulling the door open all at the same time...if that sounds physically possible. If you fix the door, let me know what you did!
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

I've been having problems with my door locks lately and of course the rear hatch/doors is the worst. I have found that if I use the key and unlock the hatch then immediately push the exterior button, it will open. Sometimes I can then open the lower doors too. Sometimes I have to "unlock" with the key again before the lower door lock will open. I think my problem is one of the relays but have other problems to fix before I can get to it. Good luck.
:guitar:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

The latches on either end of the upper hatch might be in need of lubrication (lithium (white) grease.). Try pushing in on the upper hatch while operating the switch/key. It might release.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrojohn »

Thank goodness that I had the window moulding off the hatch, as I was diagnosing the rear wiper too.
I got the hatch open.
I know the lock solenoid is working, as I can hear it.
The weird thing now, was when I opened and closed it a few times,(stuck) I all at once got a click when I pushed the hatch button, and it released. I did it a dozen times, and then I pulled the hatch down. It didn't work. I got it open, and then it worked. So I looked at the wiring harness and followed it into the van, and everything looks good.
Does the latch solenoid go bad, or is something going wrong with the push button. I've noticed that when I go to the local salvage yards for parts, all the push buttons for the hatch, have been removed. Is this the culprit, or is it the solenoid?

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Maybe it just needs to be lubed, like I said I get similar clicking, but dont necessarily get the release.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

CaptSquid wrote:The latches on either end of the upper hatch might be in need of lubrication (lithium (white) grease.). Try pushing in on the upper hatch while operating the switch/key. It might release.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrojohn »

Update on what's been going on.
I took the solenoid out (the one that unlatches the window) and tested it by hooking it up to 12 volts. It worked every time.
So I took out the push button assembly, and started to test it by hooking it up to a test light, and doing things like turning the key one way or the other. On 1 set of contacts, when I turned the key to the right, I had continuity. On another set, when I turned the key to the left, I got continuity. On the 3rd set, which I'm assuming is the contacts that are supposed to activate the solenoid, nothing.
I even took out the relay on the right rear side of the van and checked that.
Well I bit the bullet, and ordered the push button assembly. $103.00! What a rip off. Beware if you need one.
One of you guys mentioned taking it apart and cleaning it. I tried that first. All I could do is remove the push button from the electric contacts, and the dust disc. There is nothing else to take apart.
The push button worked fine, and the spring behind the disc worked fine. GM is sure getting a premium for a little switch. There must be a lot of problems with that setup.
Before I put everything back together, I'm going to add a 4 or 6 inch leader to each side on the latches, drill a hole through the moulding, and put a key ring through. That way if the damn thing conks out again, I can pull on the rings, and open the hatch. When I get done, I may post pics.
Now for the rear wiper. The only other thing I can think of wrong, is the switch on the dash. I took the wiper out, and it works.
I bought this van for junk price ($400.00) and it's in darn good shape, just a few things wrong that I need to address.

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrojohn »

I've found the culprit to the hatch problem. After spending $110.00 on a new push button switch, I installed it, but the wiper still didn't work.
I checked for continuity from the switch to the delay switch in the rear hatch. I had power.
I noticed the wiper was in a different location, so I started checking the wiring. When I moved the hatch up and down, it would work.
I started checking the wiring harness, and when I grabbed it, the solenoid for the hatch started clicking.
I pulled the wrapping off the wiring, and found 3 broken wires, and 3 more that were frayed bad. I repaired them, and now everything in the rear works just fine.
Now if I could just find that post that had the complete wiring schematic for a 2003 or 5 astro.
I have a few issues to trace down.

trip_south
I am smitten with my van

Post by trip_south »

Hi I know this is an old topic but I believe I'm having a similar problem. When I turn the rear hatch button with the key the doors unlock no problem but when I push in the button to open the hatch nothing happens - no solenoid clicking or anything. From reading this post it seems like the most likely reason is bad wiring? Has anyone come up with any other tips for this problem?

I wish it was as straightforward as one of the actuator arms coming out of the assembly!
99 Safari AWD -> 4WD slowly Update: Auto 4wd, 2Hi, 4Hi work, no luck with shifting to 4lo

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

First check the fuse.

johnv
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by johnv »

BUMP.
mine has degraded over 3 years till it takes crazy key-wrangling and pumping of the button to get the solenoid to wake up and throw.
I'm buying into your worn-wires thing... can you say WHERE the wires showed the wear?
what do i need to remove/attack to get in there.
I'm ready...

astrojohn
"I've found the culprit to the hatch problem. After spending $110.00 on a new push button switch, I installed it, but the wiper still didn't work.
I checked for continuity from the switch to the delay switch in the rear hatch. I had power.
I noticed the wiper was in a different location, so I started checking the wiring. When I moved the hatch up and down, it would work.
I started checking the wiring harness, and when I grabbed it, the solenoid for the hatch started clicking.
I pulled the wrapping off the wiring, and found 3 broken wires, and 3 more that were frayed bad. I repaired them, and now everything in the rear works just fine."

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

Most likely where they bend, at the hinge of the door. Have you taken your switch apart and cleaned/lubed it?

WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Well, my rear hatch suddenly decided to not want to open. It sounds like maybe the unlatch motor/solenoid is failing. I can hear something trying to actuate, when I press the button, but not enough to release the hatch.
I finally removed the inner hatch handle, and trim piece. I can see the linkage, so I tied a small cord around the linkage rod and pulled it toward the passenger side. The hatch opened. The cord will remain until the weather warms up a bit, amd I get time to dig into the innards of the hatch seriously.
It is a bit of a pain to have to crawl inside to get the hatch open, but at least it can be done.
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA