1998 2WD astro Wont stay running....???

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
64crew4x4
I am merely driving my van

1998 2WD astro Wont stay running....???

Post by 64crew4x4 »

Hey guys...been a long while Since I got to float here.....I am trying to figure out a friends new ride....

Story is this....The ignition harness got hacked at the key..someone tried to steal the van and didn't know what they were doing...lol....So New steering wheel assembly was bought thru J/Y it was all plug and play, bolted in, no issues...none of the harness wiring was hacked....Since then though the issue has been that it will start and run in Ignition start but when you come off start mode with the key to run mode it dies right off...? is this a simple matter of a new ignition switch for the Key...? I have not physically looked it over yet, trying to get some ideas before I go deal with the Heat...:(

Any thoughts appreciated....Thanks, John in Oregon...

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 1998 2WD astro Wont stay running....???

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Sounds like a security system issue. Did the radio get hacked too?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Drummernaut »

I am not sure but I am guessing that the 98 and 99 key lock operation and schematics are close. When you put the key in and turn to the first position(off), your milage should show. On the next position(run) your other instrument lights should come on. Third position is start.

It sounds like you "off" and "run" positions may be shorted together at the switch allowing the vehicle to start but when you go back to the run position, it dies. This is only a guess.

EDIT: I am going to disagree with me and agree with LiftedAWDAstro, I forgot these have a theftlock system.
Attachments
IMG_0156.jpg
Last edited by Drummernaut on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Drummernaut »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Sounds like a security system issue. Did the radio get hacked too?
That too... #-o

Topic author
64crew4x4

Post by 64crew4x4 »

You guys Rock..I was wondering about theft issues....I will check that tomorrow am before the heat hits...UGH....

Thanks For the wiring schematics as well....:)