Retrieving SES Codes

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
vanagon40
I am merely driving my van

Retrieving SES Codes

Post by vanagon40 »

My Google and search skills have failed me and I don't know OBD1 from OBD2. I have a 1998 Astro Van.

I remember on my 1992 Chevy Van and 1992 Saturn, I would jump a couple of wires on the diagnostic plug and retrieve the SES codes when I turned the key to the "ON" position. Does this still work on my 1998 Astro, or do I need to take it to someone (e.g., AutoZone) with a scanner?

If the jumper will work, is this the diagnostic plug (sorry, the photo is a little blurry) and do I jump the two right hand (upper and lower) wires? (The bracket is broken, but it is located under the dash on the left side, near the emergency brake.)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Retrieving SES Codes

Post by Smiliesafari »

OBDII became the self diagnostic system in 1996. The jumper wire method will not work on the OBDII system. The codes must be retrieved with a scanner. The SES light has to be turned off with the scanner also. Yes...that is the data link connector
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
vanagon40

Post by vanagon40 »

Hey, thanks for the response. It is sad that the '98 Astro is one of the newest vehicles I own, so I'm not sure how to diagnose problems. I will take it to AutoZone to check the codes.

BTW, you posted an absolute golden nugget on page three of => viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1800.

I used your procedure to fix both the driver and passenger window in my van, at NO cost to me, and both are still working. There is slight glitch in the Driver window that causes it to stick at about 80% up (closed), but I always manage to get the window open or closed as needed.

Topic author
vanagon40

Post by vanagon40 »

Smiliesafari wrote:. . . . The SES light has to be turned off with the scanner also. . . .
My light is off, but I assume codes have been stored during the periods of time the light was on????

If the light is off, will the scanner retrieve old codes?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The OBDII system has a self learning feature. When the system senses a malfunction it records a code and turns on the malfunction indicator light (SES light). After a few cycles if the ECM doesn't sense the same malfunction it will turn the light off. I've never checked to see if the codes that turned the light on have been stored. If the light has been turned off, I'm happy. And I assume my van is also.
I have always beem curious as to why parts fail. When I bought my van the passenger window was stuck open. I removed the window motor and disassembled it to see why it failed. That's when I found the thermal fuse burnt. Just as an experiment I soldered across the terminals and was pleasantly surprised to find it worked. Easy and cheap fix. Got to love them.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle