P1336 code, 1999 Vortec 350

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

P1336 code, 1999 Vortec 350

Post by rlsllc »

I think I know why I have the P1336 code, the distrubutor looks to be turned CC about 10 degrees. It had been disassembed at some point, and there were referance marks on the dist and intake, I made my own new mark for the rotor and dist relationship. Problem is, I don't know if the referance marks were correct or not.

I was thinking about pulling the distributor and moving it one tooth CW, so that it would be more "straight" rather than turned. Problem here is that I have no way to know if I'm helping it or not, just a guess.

Before I do this, does anyone have the proper procedure for finding 0* timing and getting the Crank Position Sensor and distributor in sync?

I'm planning to buy a Scangauge II, but it won't be this week. I think it is needed to do it right, but maybe not.

I like learning new stuff, thanks to all that have been helping out.

Feedback please!!!

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Re: P1336 code, 1999 Vortec 350

Post by sfeaver »

You sure its a P1336, not a P1375? (or 1345).. I have that set right now too, its because the correlation of the Cam Position Sensor (distributer) and the Crankshaft sensor is out more than +- 2 Degrees.

Not sure if the scangage will report this value or not, would be nice if did because I have one. I also have software on the laptop and I dont think it will do it either. I've asked a buddy to ask his buddy to borrow his real scan tool..

Sounds like you have it started. How did it go otherwise. Dont feel bad about that code, I think its pretty much guarenteed if you didnt make it yourself in the first place. In my case I have a new engine and new distributor, and new computer so its never been set in the first place.

When I put it in with the motor on TDC for Cyl #1 (mark on balancer matching mark on timing cover) you have to turn the distributor quite a bit left to make it line up to the "8" mark. Almost touching the manifold on the right side. Its not nice and straight like the V6 is.

Scott

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I had the codes pulled at advance auto, so no, I'm not sure, lol.

P1336 and ignition misfire was all they said, and tried to sell me a distibutor, coil, ignition module, dielectric grease, etc. I bought a pack of 3157NA bulbs and said I thought that would fix it, which left them looking perplexed.

It started and ran like it was factory, and I had just drove it 1/2 hour ago. So much different than a carbed swap, they never seem to start and just sit and purr.

I've got 100 miles or more on it, all at 1/4 throttle or less other than a couple gentle pushes taking off that aim the nose in the air (or the butt to the ground) and sound like Burt Reynold's T/A. I swear the front tires bark when you do it, but I was turning out into traffic both times.

Only bummer is that the A/C died during the swap. Compressor runs, fluid line gets frosty for a sec, then nothing. Always something, could be a lot worse.

No idea on the "8" mark. Mine is turned CC like you describe, so maybe that's not the problem.

The best part, and was prolly worth it all, is the awesome sound of a V8 instead of the V6. I just love that sound, even with the stock exhaust. And that it climbs hills in OD with the TC locked and holds it's speed. Ahhh.

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

How was your temps? Did you use mechanical fan with the shroud cut down? Was it 99 degrees down there today?

Scott

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

For your A/C, what did you do to it while apart? Do you have gauges to see what is going on?

The torque is quite nice with the V8, as is the sound. Were you smiling every time you touched the pedal? hehe

Scoott

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I was very careful to not disturb the A/C when I did the swap, I hung the compressor on the wiper motor and didn't unhook any hoses. It really made the swap more of a pain that I figured was worth it since the air always worked really well, front and rear.

The compressor runs, and the small bottom line on the front evap gets frosty, but it never blows cold air and the can and other lines are hot to the touch.

I'm going to try to get a set of gauges, I have a friend that is a commercial HVAC guy, but I know he hates to do 'favors' so I am hesitant to ask him for help. I may see if I can at least use his leak detector. I'm so hoping that something leaked when everything was being moved and such and that I can change it and be ok, but I am not thinking that will be the case. Prolly looking at finding a leak, changing the desicant can, evacuating and charging. Could be worse, I just hope it isn't the impossible to get to rear lines.

It was in the 90s, and yes, cut down shroud and stock fan with the best thermal clutch I could find. I'll put it this way, it was in the driveway idling while I was checking the trans fluid level for the 50th or so time when the clutch engaged the fan, and it pulled my wife's sundress tight to the grill when she was standing in front of the van, so I don't think airflow is an issue. She was amused, as was I.

I do love the torque. It's hard not to grin. These vans should have been built with this engine. I'd love to drive one (Vortec 350) in a stripped down RWD with 3.73s or 4.10s, my loaded AWD conversion is h-e-a-v-y and has 3.42 gears, which is why the 4.3 was a dog.

4.3s are fine in lighter, lower geared vans.

On another note, my wife has driven it twice, and her only comment is that it idles so smooth and quiet compared to the old engine. I really feel that I should confess my sins and explain to my wife why everything didn't just bolt back in as it came apart, the extra parts, etc. She is a very smart woman, so I figure she may already know and has chosen not to beat me down. Hard to say.

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

OK, did some reading and it seems that the P1336 is caused by the PCM not properly recognizing the crank position sensor, and upon further reading, this is common when swapping a PCM/engine to a different application. This is 1996 and newer, OBD II, for what it's worth.

This is good and bad, good as in my distributor is prolly OK, bad as in it take a scan tool that is capable of initiating a "ckp relearn", such as the $4000 Tech II. There are other scan tools that can do it, it seems, but I don't know which ones and I'll bet it's not the ones I can afford.

So I'm gonna try to find someone that has the tool to do it, and while I'm at it, I may use the tool to set the distributor as straight to the engine as I can, and the set the cam retard value to 0 degrees. I just hate to pay the dealer $100 to do something that takes 5 minutes.

Any info on what scan tools can do a "ckp relearn" would be much appreciated!!!

Topic author
rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Fixed!

Post by rlsllc »

Here is the procedure to clear the P1336 code:

Plunk down $48.92 at the local GM dealer, and 5 minutes later, the code is cleared. They have to do the CKP variance learn procedure, which involves hooking up the $4500 Tech II, starting the engine, pressing go on the Tech II, pressing the brake, pressing the gas and letting off when the PCM cuts the fuel at 4050 rpm, let off the brake and turn off the engine. Done.

I want to send kudos to HPbyStan, after reading his post about having trouble with his V8 swapped van and the donor VIN he carries in the van, I took a VIN for a 1999 Express van with the same 5.7, 4L60E and 3.42 gears with me, and it was a good thing cause they used it to do the procedure. I printed it on the inside cover of the owners manual.

They techs spent more time looking under the hood with flashlights than actually doing the procedure. They were cool about the whole thing. I heard one tech say something about all those vans are VIN 'W', so something is wrong here....LOL.

I'm sure there are tools that can do it, but this was painless and hopefully a one time thing.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Fixed!

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

rlsllc wrote:I heard one tech say something about all those vans are VIN 'W', so something is wrong here....LOL.
That's the best part about modding these vans...when they say you can't do it...and then show them it's done! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy