95 Stro AWD SES light

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
smokinsiggy
I get chills without my van.

Re: 95 Stro AWD SES light

Post by smokinsiggy »

Thanks v8famvan, surely is a great feeling since being defeated by this problem many times. Feels real good realizing that others with far more superior knowledge were defeated with far more hours lost. Small price to pay to recognize who can troubleshoot till near death at times. LOL! So the van is running sweet with only a few minor problems due to it being parked for so long, alternator rear bearing is dry and I'm getting a shift problem with tranny. I found a rather large vacuum hose broken and forgot to look further to see what it hooked up to before taking the test drive. Would this hose by chance lead to the transmission? It sits right in front of ones nose to the left side of engine when looking into the dog house. I'm looking at finding time later today to check this out with hopes that this is the cause for no shift to 2nd, third and overdrive.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Congrats on finding the main problem! There are no vacuum lines to the transmission. Unfortunately I can not remember off the top of my head what vacuum lines are where you indicated on a W engine. If it is a long hose chances are it goes from a tee in the manifold to a "bubble" under the AC stuff. If your AC\heat stuff doesn't work right that is what it is. As for the trans, if you only have 1st and reverse it is most likely bad news. BUT, you never know. You might get lucky.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
smokinsiggy

Post by smokinsiggy »

lockdoc wrote:Congrats on finding the main problem! There are no vacuum lines to the transmission. Unfortunately I can not remember off the top of my head what vacuum lines are where you indicated on a W engine. If it is a long hose chances are it goes from a tee in the manifold to a "bubble" under the AC stuff. If your AC\heat stuff doesn't work right that is what it is. As for the trans, if you only have 1st and reverse it is most likely bad news. BUT, you never know. You might get lucky.
Thanks locdoc! I was underneath looking around earlier and confirmed no vacuum lines to transmission.

The heat/Ac work real good, the fan was sticking due to being dry, drilled a small hole at the end of housing near shaft, sprayed with graphite, tapped with wrench and she's spinning like hell now. Eventually it may need replacement, but then again had an older S10 that lasted for years when I did this to it. LOL!

I'm thinking the valve body maybe dry in the Stro with a valve or 2 stuck. Will try some lucas Trans Fix when I change fluid and filter. Did this lil trick on a 90 Safari AWD that had similar problem when I bought it. Some 400K later she's still shifting with servicing every 50K-60K its amazing what can change. I'm hoping this works, the Van runs so smooth otherwise.

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

A '95 will have an electronic shifting transmission so if it is not shifting properly it may set a code which could lead you in the right direction....
Or maybe you just have a burnt/blown fuse. (don't really want a repeat of that kind of issue)

Point is, just don't overlook the simple things/possibilities.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
smokinsiggy

Post by smokinsiggy »

Well after a few breaks from this gem I have narrowed down to a code24 - VSS circuit low(transmission output signal). This being said traced and checked wire harness from VSS sensor all the way to under the dash VSS buffer, aka DRAC on this model.

Checked for power and continuity from buffer to speedo connection/plug. Suspect buffer was NFG, changed out with used from wrecker.

Replaced today and pulled neg. cable off battery to reset ECM and now the van will just fire up on the turn of the key and die, time and time again.

Looked under the hood to see if anything suspiciously obvious and believe it or not someone stole a relay from the engine compartment driver side to the upper left of fuse box(rear).

There's only one other idiot that owns an Astro out here in the sticks, so once he returns home we'll see how the relay works where the sun don't shine. LOL! Can someone with same model year post the relay part number and explain what it is for? I'm really hoping this is why its not starting today.

I'm not going crazy, i know there was a relay attached to the fresh clean connector hanging down. [-o<

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

sorry i didn't see this thread sooner smokin...

with my headache experience the first place I would have told you to look was at the orange PCM wire.. LOL

for my trials ... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4717

end results on page two :D

great to hear you sorted yours out =D>
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
smokinsiggy

Post by smokinsiggy »

Thanks for the feedback Crash. From what i read you pretty much figured it out with a similar amount of energy, patience and stubbornness. Yes it could have been helpful back in JUly during my most troubling times. LOL!

Topic author
smokinsiggy

Post by smokinsiggy »

Well since raising everyone's eyebrows I may as well let you know that this missing relay is a "Brake/Shift Interlock Relay". Replaced this bugger with one from Wrecker and the Van is running with Speedometer, Anti-lock Brakes, Transmission (kinda) shifting , and Instrument Cluster lights all working.

WOO-HOO! \:D/

Need to sort out why no shift into second gear but, drive and OD work well. Will drop thetranny fluid and filter and throw inn some lucas and maybe it will free something up.
This van sat for many years abandoned by others that tried to make it run but just weren't "old school hard headed stubborn enough" to make it run down the road. Need to transfer some plates and insurance next day or two and see what else comes up.

Truly satisfying feeling coming inside with something accomplished today. LOL!!! :D

Topic author
smokinsiggy

Post by smokinsiggy »

The saga rolls on and now have plenty of experience on whats not wrong with the beast. Back to square 1 with the fuel tank. The vans not shifting and anti lock brakes not working due to a bad connection within the tank that was over looked when pump was replaced. Went through every friggin wire back to tank and was stumped why it wants to run in limp mode. My suspicion came about when watching the gas gauge bounce erratically while buddy shook my wire, LOL! Anyway there was a bad ground that was cleaned and repaired, moved on to tank connection and still no change. Got Buddy to pound on tank and BINGO, the gauge went nuts. Removed tank again and the wires are all fine with the exception of the 2 going to sending unit are a little corroded and slightly loose on the spade. Tightened the smaller and having troubles with the other. I have 2 options I'm thinking of; replace wires which are handy, or get another complete assembly from wrecker. Now this being said I'm still not convinced my black cloud will lift with simply changing wire. What do you all think about the sending unit being NFG?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

How is an erratic fuel level gauge tied into ABS and the trans shifting? I think the fuel level is just a nuisance and is not related. I would look to the VSS or simply a bad tranny.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy