current scan tool suggetions for basic uses.

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

current scan tool suggetions for basic uses.

Post by WE7X »

I have not seen any postings about available scan tools for several years..
Anyone have current suggestions for purchase, to use on our A/S vans.
I do not need to read every parameter in real time ( although I know that would be very useful under some situations).
At this time I am more interested in stored DTC's and the basic information provided through the ALDL connector.
TIA,
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: current scan tool suggetions for basic uses.

Post by Herbie »

I use the scangauge II for both run-time reading of 4 parameters at a time, as well as for pulling codes. I have it mounted on a bracket up near my rear-view mirror:

This is prior to getting the headliner reinstalled, obviously. Sorry about the crappy photos.
Typically, I have it set to read out RPM, Transmission Temp (a biggie!), MPG, and voltage.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Herbie,
I didn't get any other responses.
The Scanguage II looks like a very nice device, and I like the multiple data displays, particularly for a permanent or semi-permanent installation; but I just could not justify the cost for my use.
Instead, I bought a $50 handheld unit for troubleshooting and general use that seems to do most things in some form or another; and then just for grins, I bought a plug-in Bluetooth module ($8). It is supposed to allow resetting common codes and displays via an Android phone. I have a couple of old Androids that should still work for that purpose. I often carry one of the old ones for internet searching and ham radio uses; so I don't have to have my good phone out getting beat up all the time.
It will be very interesting to see how well that Bluetooth device works, with the old phone as the display medium.
I will report back some time after I get some experience with both.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
'98 Astro AWD Forest Green metallic
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

8 bucks to see it on your phone is pretty sweet. I also had the scan guage II, but didn't really use it much, I will need to hook it back up when I re-do the van. Scan Gauge seems to be the go to, so it will be good to get your take on another option.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

I happened to be in an AutoZone store today. They have the ScanGuage II on sale for (I think it was) $125. I was tempted to pick it up, but I had already ordered something different, that has not even arrived yet.
I did 'rent' an Innova 3100LaT analyzer AutoZone loans tools, and the deal is: You pay a deposit. In this case it was $150. That is good for a 90 day use, and is fully refunded upon returning the tool, within the 90 days and in good condition.
I figured there was nothing to loose. It will give me an opportunity, for almost three months, to compare this analyzer to the other devices I will have access to.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

Ive used the Ultragage for about 8 years now, It was around $60 at the time, I havent had any problems with it, works good for checking/resetting codes, also has nice features on the diplay including a tach, just thought I would give feedback and mention it since you are looking at options.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"