S10 Front Diff Questions

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

S10 Front Diff Questions

Post by Herbie »

So I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I don't currently NEED a new/rebuilt front diff, but since re-gearing is on the To-Do list, I know this is something I need to smarten up on.

As I see it, I have 3 options:
  1. Re-gear my 2003 AWD Front Diff
  2. Source an S10 Front diff with the 4.10/4.11 gears I want. install as-is (or minor refresh?)
  3. Source any old S10 Front diff, re-gear and install a front locker and cable-disconnect to pair with my part-time T-case and planned rear Detroit Locker
Here are my questions:
  1. Thus far, I've avoided needing custom driveshafts. I'd like to continue that if possible. Are there any years of S10 front diff that will match my 2003 shafts?
  2. In particular, are there any that include the disconnect?
  3. (Was the disconnect a feature on all years? S10)
  4. What RPO code do I need to look for if I'm going after the disconnect?
  5. If I'm dead-set on a front locker and disconnect, will I need essentially need to rebuild the front diff anyway? (so the only difference between finding one with or without the right ratio is the cost of the ring/pinion?)
  6. Should I forget all of this and just be happy that 3wd is pretty damned good and go with my first option and re-gear the stock diff?
Thanks, as always.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: S10 Front Diff Questions

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Here are my questions:
A. Thus far, I've avoided needing custom driveshafts. I'd like to continue that if possible. Are there any years of S10 front diff that will match my 2003 shafts?

I would look at 98 and newer as they should be a direct swap. The only thing is the yoke may be different, but you can swap yours in.

B. In particular, are there any that include the disconnect?

All S-10's have the disconnect axle.

C. (Was the disconnect a feature on all years? S10)

See B.

D. What RPO code do I need to look for if I'm going after the disconnect?

No separate RPO code for the disconnect. It's how they were built. No option on them as far as I know.

E. If I'm dead-set on a front locker and disconnect, will I need essentially need to rebuild the front diff anyway? (so the only difference between finding one with or without the right ratio is the cost of the ring/pinion?)

Maybe. If you can find one with 4.10's, you can swap in a Powertrax locker in place of the spider gears without doing a setup. If you have to regear or replace the carrier with a limited slip or locker (like ARB), then you need to do a setup anyways.

F. Should I forget all of this and just be happy that 3wd is pretty damned good and go with my first option and re-gear the stock diff?

This would be my choice to limit the amount of stress on the already weak front diff. Maybe you would be better to spend the extra money on a true locker for the rear like a Detroit locker or ARB. You could always do a Powertrax no-slip rear locker as well as these are much cheaper. We put one in Zam's 95 RWD van and he liked it overall for road manners.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Great info! Thanks.

T-case goes in tomorrow. 4x4 here I come!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Herbie
Great work on your van. I have similar intent for mine. I found a great amount of information on locking a 7.2 on another site. The zr2usa.com boys have this all figured out. A member named Miles ( my IFS hero) has a sticky on installing a locker in our front diff. Might like to take the time and sift thu what's posted there.
Looking forward to your results. I personally am leaning toward to LSD from Engeneered Performance also with the two part axle and an np236 to keep my AWD. All that's missing is money!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s