Multiple questions about hard clicking from front (CVs?)

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Multiple questions about hard clicking from front (CVs?)

Post by Herbie »

Hi All - Been a while but I always know I can count on you all when I get stuck on something I've never handled before...

1st - diagnosis: I have a hard clicking sound from the front, usually with slow-speed turns. After straightening it persists for a few seconds then fades. This is probably a CV joint problem, yes? Van only has about 70k miles, but this started not too long after a pretty rough off-road trip through the CA desert, so I'm guessing I damaged a boot. I admit I haven't crawled under to check it yet, but unless there's obvious grease somewhere I'm not sure I'd know what I was looking at anyhow... (again, never done this sort of service before)

2nd - repair: Assuming this IS a CV joint problem, I THINK this is something I should handle myself. Looks like NAPA has reman'd CV driveshafts for like $62 each, so I think it'd just be best to replace both so I know where I'm starting from. Looks like the assembly from NAPA includes new boots and axle nut - anything else I should purchase? Is there a guide or walkthrough for doing this job on an Astro that someone can point me to?

3rd - Prevention: As I said, this seemed to show up not long after a rough offroad trip, and I must confess that my lift installation is a bit incomplete - I have not done the balljoint relocation yet, nor have I replaced the shocks at either end. Any chance this contributed? Mostly I ask because I'm inclined to tackle the balljoints at least, and probably the shocks too when I tackle the rest of this job. I'd like to get everything sorted so that hopefully this doesn't happen again too soon. Anything else I need to worry about that might be a contributing factor? I've been thinking about dialing out a bit of the front lift, but can only go so far before I'll get rubbing issues with my bigger tires, even though I sort of wish I could have a bit less lift. Then again, maybe with finally doing the balljoints and shocks my disappointment with the handling after the lift kit will go away...

Thanks much everyone! You guys are the best.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Multiple questions about hard clicking from front (CVs?)

Post by MountainManJoe »

I think you are on the right track. When I was replacing my pan, I was surprised how easy it was to remove the axles .... it's one of those rare times these vans give you a break.

I think it's a great opportunity to do those ball-joints and shocks.

You will need a very large socket + breaker bar for the axle nut. I think it was 24mm but I would have to double check my toolbox. One little issue I ran into was the stabilizer bar links. The were completely seized with rust so I had to cut them off. Inexpensive to replace also.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Post some pics if you can manage it. :)
Attachments
oil pan removal 2.JPG
oil pan removal 1.JPG

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I just found in my collection digitized service manuals for front 2003 front axles (includes problem diagnosis). Shoot me a PM with your email.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Dont forget the biggass torque wrench if you havent got one already...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I was way off. I used a 1/2" drive, 36mm, 6-point, deep socket for the axle nut. ($8)

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

It's not a bad job, just a disassembling a lot of things, but not bad. Double check and compare the length of cv joints to be sure they match, should come with a new washer and nut as both should be replaced every time they are removed. I went with new GSP (now called ToughOne, found out made in China) cv joints from Advance Auto and have lifetime warranty, about the same price but used one of their 20% coupon codes I googled for additional savings. If the Napa are lifetime warranty, they could be a better option quality wise if they are starting from oe cv joints.

I would consider replacing axle shaft seals at the same time if you're going to all the trouble. Loaner tool slide hammer with 3 jaw puller (Autozone #33627026 is what I use) and seal driver kit or large socket to reinstall. A regular seal puller doesn't seem to work well in this application, at least for me.

Relocating upper ball joints at same time is a great idea as well, have fun drilling/chiseling if original. :D Nah, uppers aren't that bad. If, for some reason you have to remove upper control arms, hit the camber adjustment washers with a shot of spray paint which helps get them close to previous alignment.

Be sure to loosen the axle nuts while it's still on the ground before it's jacked up and you start removing other things. I don't know this from personal experience. :yawinkle:
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Well, here's a very belated follow up to this one: It wasn't the CVs. :(

After many weekends down the tube, both front axles are replaced (along w/ new upper/lower ball joints, etc. while I was at it.) And the clicking is still here. Most noticeable on acceleration, and my brain wants me to believe it's worse in turns, but now I'm not positive.

What's left - front diff, right?

I've learned my lesson, I'm going to have a pro check it before I decide on any more action, but I think I'm running out of other possibilities. So, I guess I should start making sure I'm ready for a re-gear, right? It seems like if I have to crack open the diff to fix this, it's probably best to just do the gearing and other work I've been contemplating...

Ugh.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.