s10 unlocking axle

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: s10 unlocking axle

Post by MountainManJoe »

this might be a stupid question but ... why is there a preload on the TC clutch pack?

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:It only stops the front parts from turning full speed. The driver side front axle shaft is still turning the spider gears and possibly the ring/pinion and prop shaft. If you have an AWD, the front stuff turns anyways due to t-case clutch pack pre-loads.
It takes all the load off the whole drive-line right from the wheel nuts to the transfer case output.
Without the s10 disconnect, all that is under load from the tires turning, and the only thing stopping it (by hand? not) is the transfer case gear selection in 2HI or N.
With the s10 disconnect, I bet it would be stoppable by hand, but I'n not climbing under there on the freeway to try it out :muhaha:

I had a Jeep CJ and if I left the axle hubs locked in, and only took the transfer case out, into 2HI, I could effectively drive around in 2wd just like an AWD van with a np231C in 2HI.

What I did notice on my jeep in 2Hi with hubs Locked, was a noise developed in the transfer case to front drive shaft yoke bearing, so I decided not to apply the wear n tear, and unlock the hubs. Same deal here I think, pretty much.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
willisworms
I get chills without my van.

Post by willisworms »

Well I went to the pick and pull yesterday and walked around. There are two blazers there with the motors pulled and easy access to the front diff. one is a 2000 and the other is a 01. The ground was a complete mess! The mud was dangerously close to creeping into my shoes. I'm thinking this project will be on hold until the ground firms up.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

You didnt wear Boots to the p&p in the wintertime? [-X

Topic author
willisworms

Post by willisworms »

I knew I was gonna get called on that. I was doing a job in the area and had on my steel toe shoes.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Just razzin ya, I went there a couple weeks ago, in snow, with Crocs on. Lol.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

NOTE: If you have an AWD that is 1990 to 1998 you can NOT install an unlocking front axle without possibly damaging the transfer case. You also will not have a true park position in the tranny and your van WILL roll when parked on a hill unless you set the parking brake.

If you have a 1999-2005 AWD, the transfer case is engaged by an electric servo motor so it may not care if the front is engaged or not. I do not know if these newer vans will roll if the front is disconnected.

If you have a true 2 speed part-time transfer case, like a NP231, then by all means swap an s-10 axle disconnect in there as it will keep most of the front end parts from turning all the time. The CV half shafts will still turn though.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

timelessbeing wrote:Any idea how much preload there is? For instance, can it be overcome using just your hands?
I just found a partial answer to this (http://www.rsgear.com/technical/articles/2007_12.pdf)
There is 100lbs of preload on the clutch, but what that translates to in terms of torque will depend on how much friction there is on the clutch plates.

Topic author
willisworms

Post by willisworms »

timelessbeing wrote:
timelessbeing wrote:Any idea how much preload there is? For instance, can it be overcome using just your hands?
I just found a partial answer to this (http://www.rsgear.com/technical/articles/2007_12.pdf)
There is 100lbs of preload on the clutch, but what that translates to in terms of torque will depend on how much friction there is on the clutch plates.
It seems to me, that would make this conversion all the more worth it. With a hundred pounds preload, and all resulting friction, its like driving around with your brakes dragging.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I think you'd be surprised how little drag the front end adds.

I had the disconnect on my van after the engine swap, along with a 2-speed NP-241 t-case. Only difference I noticed was a complete elimination of a very minor vibration at 60+mph. I attribute that to the t-case, though I don't know why.

Oh, and in case you haven't been warned yet, do NOT use the S-10 support brackets on your van. Take the 5 minutes extra to swap out the OEM Astro brackets, 'cause they are NOT the same.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

peter wrote:Oh, and in case you haven't been warned yet, do NOT use the S-10 support brackets on your van. Take the 5 minutes extra to swap out the OEM Astro brackets, 'cause they are NOT the same.
Sorry, getting a wee bit off topic here..... PM might be better but then no-one else can get the info either...

Have you got a pic of the "support Bracket" you refer too?

I just put an S10- Tcase into my van and I am unsure of what support brackets you refer too.
It seems None of the bars/brackets that helped to stabilize my 95 astro transfer case will fit to the s10 np231 tcase.
I will make my own if need be but I'm wondering if there is a part I missed (the "brackets") when shopping for parts to do the swap .
the one I think may be missing, would prevent the tcase from spin-twisting up/down at the front shaft output end of the tcase, if the front drive is under power.
I havent made a front driveshaft yet, or used the 4wd so I will be needing the tcase fully strapped in first.
DSC02658.JPG

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Sorry, getting a wee bit off topic here.....
Actually Peter is on topic as the questions are about the front diff. The t-case was just mentioned in his swap. The bracket he is referring to is the one on the passenger side axle tube that the front diff bolts to and then to the frame. If you use the s-10 one, you can snap CV shafts due to the angles.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

ok, obviously I'm a bit confused here.

I put an s10 diff/axle unit into my van. No sweat, fit right in. I dont remember seeing any removable bracket on the passenger side.
The only bracket I can think of fitting your description is the flat plate with 2 holes, welded to the axle tube at the passenger side end. you bolt it to the frame thru its 2 holes.
terminology can be a bitch eh? to see what I am referring too, it is #5 on the PDF of the s10 diff I posted in the 1st page of this thread.
I'm confused about the bracket you can swap in 5 minutes. I cant un-weld that plate, so what exactly are you folks eluding too, so I could avoid killing CV joints too.
Or is that only a prob for guys who run 502 big block ? I have a stout 4.3.

Please explain this further.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Maybe the set-up is different on your 90', but the complete diff/axle assembly on my front assembly is held in place by a flange which is welded to the axle tube on one side. But on the other side, there's a dogleg bracket which attaches the assembly to the frame. That's the one I'm talking about.

The two brackets seem identical at first glance. But they're not. The S-10 bracket will cause your assembly to not sit perfectly level. That will cause you to blow out the cv joint on hard left turns in 4wd. I blew out two before finding the culprit.

Oh, and I wouldn't even bother with the bracket/rod that bolts to the t-case. I never bothered on my big-block swap & it wasn't an issue at all.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
willisworms

Post by willisworms »

doyoulikeithere. I join you in your confusion. Peter, Do you have a picture of this bracket? I am going out to the driveway To itch my shoulder blades.