? about half shafts

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

? about half shafts

Post by Jersey John »

I have resently aquired a LS1 and 4l60e that is going to be trans planted into my 95 AWD Safari. How much power does anyone think the front half shafts will hold upto? The LS1 is turned up a little bit (approx 625 hp =P~) and Itend to be a little heavy on the skinny pedal #-o once in a while.

I have a small bet running with the guy I got the motor from that it will eat his 600hp stang for breakfast and I figure with the AWD I'll have a pretty good chance.

Or if anyone knows where I can get upgraded shaft's would be even better :bounce: .

Thanks John
95 GMC Safari SLX "Mr. Cooper" (as my kids call it)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: ? about half shafts

Post by Smiliesafari »

I can't give you an exact answer to your question but I'd bet the weak link is somewhere else. Halfshafts are pretty tough. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

the front diff is only 7.25" , i doubt it would hold up long with that HP & torque , if at all . you might want to think about a dana front diff.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The front CV half shafts are definitely not the weak link. The weak link is the rear axle! If you leave it AWD you will not have any issues with the axles. When I was running the SPB with just the 5" lift and 32's, I was able to produce over 8,500 ft# of torque at the axles. Peter's 502 BBC produces around 570 ft# torque for example so that equates to the ability to produce around 7,100 ft# of torque at the axles. With Peter's being driven in 2WD he easily blew apart the rear axle and has twisted the shafts in the 9". In the SPB in low range 4x4 (my 8,500 number), I never broke an axle shaft in either the front or rear. I did chip the teeth in the front diff though.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

The weakest link in my experiences has been the front diff. Blew up two of them while running in low range with 4X4. Broke one half shaft. Prolly cuz of the angle it was at when it ripped apart. Be happy if you just blow half shafts. Around here they are very inexpensive, easy to replace, plus they give a lifetime warranty. There is a memeber here that has a 94 AWD with an LS1 and 4L60E that has never complained of any problems like this. His is stock and not putting out the HP that yours is though.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jersey John »

I have a 9" that will more than likely be going in also that I got from the same guy for another project that didn't pan out. I never gave the front diff a thought #-o . What would be a good upgrade for that. I'm not saying it has to be bullet proof but would be nice.

On another note the LSI might also be getting a little more help in the form of a little BLUE Bottle, Just have to convince the guy to give it up now that he is not going to use it.

My ultimate goal is to have a street legal grandpa looking 10 sec street van :-$ \:D/ .
95 GMC Safari SLX "Mr. Cooper" (as my kids call it)

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Jersey John wrote:My ultimate goal is to have a street legal grandpa looking 10 sec street van :-$ \:D/ .
Funny you mention that. Neil, the other LS1 I mentioned, is a Grandpa with a Grandpa looking van!

As for any upgrade to the front diff I don't know of any other than swapping out to a solid axle. I can't see that happening and keeping it looking stock though.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would be willing to bet that if you keep the van AWD that you will not have any issues. Run some 3.42 or 3.73 gears and not 4.10's and you will be ok. Guys with V8's only have rear diff trouble in 2WD form. Neil (LS1_AWD) has been running his AWD van for many years with stock drivetrain parts except for the LS1. I have ridden with him and his van simply hooks up!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy