Front end locked in 4X4 ?

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
Mr D 73
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Front end locked in 4X4 ?

Post by Mr D 73 »

Hello all I'm new to your site here but was told there are some real die hard Van heads here so I'm going to pick your brains. I have a 1996 Safari AWD SLT and recently went over 300,0000 miles and have never had any major issues other than basic maintenance and general upkeep until a few days ago. Heres my problem when I'm trying to turn into a parking spot or make a tight turn the van acts like its in 4 low like an old style 4x4 pick up in low. If you stop and back up a few feet it will make a popping noise and then you can go back to drive and it will sometimes work. I have a feeling this is the front diff going out would this be a correct assessment. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Front end locked in 4X4 ?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I don't think it's your front diff. Your 96 should have the pre-electronic transfer case. If true you have a viscous coupling type case. These coupling have a fluid that becomes semi solid when subjected to shear as when wheel speed differences are present. These couplings fail when the fluid can no longer resort back to a liquid state and will be putting power to your front diff at all times. Jack all four wheels off the ground trans in neutral. Spin a front wheel. If rears spin also you need to change your viscous coupling
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s