Inner CV joint boots slinging grease.

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
racrx7
I finally get the smurf thing

Inner CV joint boots slinging grease.

Post by racrx7 »

So ever since my 2" body lift and cranked torsion bars, both of my inner CV joint boots are slinging grease. There are no tears in the boots and the grease seems to be coming from around the band clamp areas. Anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions as how to stop it? I do have a pair of new moog boots on the way, just in case I need to replace them.

O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: Inner CV joint boots slinging grease.

Post by Stroverlander »

One of mine did that after the torsion lift and I just used a hose clamp as a temporary fix and replaced both cv axles not long after. I kept the original to rebuild which I haven't gotten around to yet.

How about some info on the Bilstein 5100's I see there. Which ones did you go with?
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

RINNY
I get chills without my van.

Post by RINNY »

Don't know if this is that relevant,
When I did my lift I replaced the half axels on a recommendation from Mike at Journey. It seems changing the angle causes some problems with the boots so I figured "why not". He also said to go with rebuilds rather than new , in his experience they last longer, so far so good but they have only been on for about 7000 miles.

Topic author
racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Thanks for the replies guys. Where are you sourcing the axles from? Any particular brand?
The original inner boots are a two piece design. The new Moog boots that came in yesterday are a one piece design. Seems there would be less chances of a leak with the one piece ones. I'm running the "Stroverlander clamp" until I can get to replacing the boots. :prayer:

Stroverlander, I'm running the Bilstein 33-062518 frt and 33-185552 rear. Frts collapsed are 12.03", extended 18.5" with a travel of 6.63". Rears collapsed, 15.91". Extended 25.93". Travel 10.17. The rears are mounted in the stock mounts on the axle housing. Other than the slushy stock shocks that were replaced, I don't have anything to compare the ride to. I mean, head and shoulders better than the stockers, but maybe not as firm as I was expecting? But they are considered an off road shock, so maybe that's where they shine?
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

I went with new from Advance Auto, GSP brand label (?) because of lifetime warranty and online promo code.

Ihatemybike, I think mentioned the possibility that some aftermarket cv axles could potentially be slightly shorter in overall length than originals so something to consider/check maybe.

The front shock specs seem pretty good, the Bilstein HD I ran pre-lift did not seem overly firm but miles better than stockers as well. Nice to see you trying a different option.

RINNY

Post by RINNY »

Ok I just tore apart the front passenger hub because I have a vibration coming from that side. I did not replace that wheel bearing. it is fine. what I did find is the boot closest to the front diff on the half axel wore a hole in itself from rubbing on the collapsed side from the severe angle. I had moved the upper ball joint down but looking at it, it seems it increased the angle of the shaft. Leaking fluid out of the input of the axel to the front diff and that is a new seal and new axel. 10 months old 7000 miles later. My front steering linkage is a little worn and is being replaced. I did not replace the lower ball joint on that side but I will do it now. Both half axel boots are worn from rubbing on the collapsed side. Any ideas?

RINNY

Post by RINNY »

racrx7 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Where are you sourcing the axles from? Any particular brand?
The original inner boots are a two piece design. The new Moog boots that came in yesterday are a one piece design. Seems there would be less chances of a leak with the one piece ones. I'm running the "Stroverlander clamp" until I can get to replacing the boots. :prayer:

Stroverlander, I'm running the Bilstein 33-062518 frt and 33-185552 rear. Frts collapsed are 12.03", extended 18.5" with a travel of 6.63". Rears collapsed, 15.91". Extended 25.93". Travel 10.17. The rears are mounted in the stock mounts on the axle housing. Other than the slushy stock shocks that were replaced, I don't have anything to compare the ride to. I mean, head and shoulders better than the stockers, but maybe not as firm as I was expecting? But they are considered an off road shock, so maybe that's where they shine?
I got my axels from NAPA 50 bucks ea.
That grease is a bear to clean up!!

Topic author
racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

There are two things that adversely effects the inner cv joint when the bars are really cranked up. First, the exit angle of the shaft from the inner cv joint is too extreme. Second, the cv joint is not as far engaged into the housing as it was with its factory ride height. Most lift kits in trucks that do not drop the center differential, come with a spacer that goes in between the inner cv joint flanges to keep the joint itself idealy located in the housing. Of course, those axles have bolt together flanges. We don't have that luxury. So the joint riding further out of the housing combined with the increased operating angle can cause issues, including but not limited to, accelerated joint wear, vibrations and boot wear. Add to this a replacement axle that is possibly shorter than OEM just compounds the problem.
The OEM boots are of a two piece design. An adapter that transitions the odd three pointed shape of the inner joint housing into a round shaped surface that the boot can fit over and clamped with the proper boot clamp. This works fine in the factory ride height. Increase the shaft angle tho and the pulling forces on the boot clamping area are increased. Most likely this is what lets the grease pass out of the boot sealing surface. The Moog boot is of a one piece design. Hopefully this will help seal it up. I think ultimately the proper solution is to lower the front differential to decrease the angle of the shafts. I will ultimately investigate a solution for doing just that.
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Excellent info! I will look up the Bilstein 5100 shocks.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Are the Bilstein 5100 better than the older 4600 serires Bilsteins?

2. Do you remember what vehicle calls for Bilstein 33-062518 for front?

And 33-185552 for rear?

This would be useful since some of the suppliers do not list the 5100 series as being applicable to Astro AWD.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

The idea of lowering the front diff sounds goo to improve angle.

I remember being able to lower the front diff in its mounying bracket to gain clearance when installing new oil coolant lines on my 2003 AWD Astro.

It is easy to do and gain about 1" drop. I suppose one could put lomger bolts in adjustment bracket, lower the diff in its mounts and but spacer to keep it snug in the lowered position.

I have 2" Overland lift but did not crank torsion bars.

I only run Bout 28" diameter tires, (225/70-16)

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Looked up the Bilstein 5100 series on Shockwarehouse.com

The 5100 for lifted 1991 Chevy Suburban, etc.

The 4600 series Bisteins are for non lifted

Interesting that the 5100 is about $5 less expensive than 4600 series.

AP

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Those Bilstein 5125 are more of a universal shock but they are listed as fitting some old Jeeps and Toyota Land Cruisers.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/33-062518

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/33-185552

The 4600 and 5100 are very similar internally and with your body lift setup, no torsion lift or upper ball joint relocation, you should be fine with the stock length front shocks like the Astro specific 4600 series.

RINNY

Post by RINNY »

Astrophysics wrote:The idea of lowering the front diff sounds goo to improve angle.

I remember being able to lower the front diff in its mounying bracket to gain clearance when installing new oil coolant lines on my 2003 AWD Astro.

It is easy to do and gain about 1" drop. I suppose one could put lomger bolts in adjustment bracket, lower the diff in its mounts and but spacer to keep it snug in the lowered position.

I have 2" Overland lift but did not crank torsion bars.

I only run Bout 28" diameter tires, (225/70-16)

AP
So 1" solid plate spacers? That would be easy and an inch would help the angle quite a bit I think. Don't mean to hijack the thread just sounds like another greatr mod!!

Topic author
racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

So 1" solid plate spacers?
Hmmm. If you're thinking of adding a 1" spacer plate to the passenger side axle mount, I don't think that will work because the bracket that connects to the frame is mounted at an angle, (rearward slope if I remember correctly). Thus just adding a spacer between the axle mount and frame bracket, would move the axle down and forward, wouldn't it? The whole axle needs to come strait down to keep the shafts centered with the hubs. Then there's the bushing type mounts on the drivers side of the axle to contend with.

On a side note, replacing the two piece CV joint boots with the one piece Moog boots stopped the grease slinging. The band clamps that came with the Moog boots are pretty cheesy compared to the factory GM clamps. I'm gonna try and just buy the GM clamps if possible.
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle