Thinking of installing a g80 to 2000 Safari AWD

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
zaneroni
I am merely driving my van

Thinking of installing a g80 to 2000 Safari AWD

Post by zaneroni »

Hi
I have been doing a lot of reading of different topics about adding limited slip to Astro's and to be honest I became more and more confused on which is the right product to buy.

What I understood so far is that g80 is GM code for the Eaton MLOCKER unit. When I read the product information on Eaton, M-Locker is a mechanical locking system not a positraction or lmited slip.

My question is which am I better off with, the Eaton M-Locker or Eaton Posi ? I live in Minnesota and my use for it will be in deep snow service and forest dirt roads. The AWD works okay until I have to tackle over 12 - 14 inches of snow. I onlt got it stuck once in 18 inch snow drift but luckily a truck passed by and was able to pull me out. I want to avoid that situation going forward.

Thank you

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: Thinking of installing a g80 to 2000 Safari AWD

Post by Stroverlander »

Plenty of good used/rebuilt/recon GM 10-bolt "G80" Eaton automatic locking differentials on eBay for not much money. They work well with next to no maintenance and should last a long time provided they aren't abused.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
zaneroni

Re: Thinking of installing a g80 to 2000 Safari AWD

Post by zaneroni »

Thanks for the heads up, the prices seem right almost 50 - 60% of the price of a new unit. I'm still torn about Posi vs Mlocker.