Bolt patterns-Ford 9" for Ole Yellar

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Bolt patterns-Ford 9" for Ole Yellar

Post by 1Gary »

When I do have the Ford 9" built for Ole Yellar because I can choose which bolt pattern and what flange for a conversion to what backing plate I want,it leaves me with having to consider the Astro front bolt pattern. I hate either to have two different patterns(front and rear) and I am beginning to dislike the 5x5 Astro pattern.
I asked this question in someone else's thread and didn't get a reply,so I decided to start my own.Is there any crosses for the Astro bolt pattern??. To have to re-drill the front rotors for a 4 3/4's bolt pattern,a more universal bolt pattern,does scare me abit.(safety??) :yikes: What do you guys think??.

It is a issue that I going to need to resolve relativity soon having to drop the sub frame out and the build up with new parts of the second pipe lifted sub. I am going to hold off on new front brakes to prevent rust problems while the rest of this project comes together,but I still want to find a answer for when I am ready to pull the trigger and buy those parts.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Bolt patterns-Ford 9" for Ole Yellar

Post by Smiliesafari »

Gary...Years ago I read an article written by "Grumpy" Bill Jenkins. The one thing that has stuck in my mind is this.... Don't spend a lot of time or money on anything that won't get you to your goal. If you are having a custom rearend built, as I did, stay with the bolt pattern you already have. One less thing to think about. There are plenty of custom wheels that use the 5 on 5 pattern.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

why dont you convert to the 'Astro' 6 bolt pattern used from 2002-2005
I think you could convert the fronts fairly easily, with factory parts.
If you gonna get a custom axles set up with whatever you want, the Astro 6 bolt pattern is a really nice common pattern.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

That's a good thought.Everytime I want to swap a tire off off Ole Yellar to Rufus(which I wouldn't be using anyways for Ole Yellar)I have to do a rim change which has brought about this question.One is 4 3/4's and the other is 5 x 5.

Rochester,NY

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Get some of those rims that fit a couple sizes then :rolleyes:

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

doyoulikeithere wrote:why dont you convert to the 'Astro' 6 bolt pattern used from 2002-2005
I think you could convert the fronts fairly easily, with factory parts.
If you gonna get a custom axles set up with whatever you want, the Astro 6 bolt pattern is a really nice common pattern.
Those are 16"aren't they??. And those are all AWD's. So how does the rotor and caliper bolt onto a RWD front 15" spindle?. There is no way I want to convert to AWD.

I sure do like the idea of a 29" 16 6 bolt.(not those wagon wheel tall pimp my ride shinnies)

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Stick with 5x5. You can't use the hub from a 2003-05 2WD van unless you swap the spindles out at the minimum. They don't use a standard 2WD rotor with bearing races in it. There is a sticky that lists all the different vehicles that use(d) the 5x5 pattern. Jeep has converted to that pattern for many of their vehicles so the aftermarket is huge. Don't re-invent the wheel so to speak. :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Gary, I dont know where you get your info but not all 2002 - 2005 vans are AWD, theres tons of 2wd.

29" 6 bolt 16" rims is easy if you get parts from a 2002-2005 2wd strofari to draw from.
Swap the entire rear axle assy to get 6 bolts with disk brakes.
Probably easy as basically swapping spindles and rotors to get 6 bolt front wheels too.
Not just a 5 minute job, but would be a great improvement.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Wassup gary ?

If ya can find a wrecked 02 to 05 2wd .... then do the spinle swap on the front & have the ford drilled for chevy 6 lug . & i'll buy the rear & springs from you .
otherwise have the ford drilled for chevy 5 x 5 .

sittin here looking at the 4 wheel discs & 16 " 6 lugs on the 05 i just got from dean ... i'm looking for a wrecked 05 so i can swap out to my 95 . the 4 wheel disc brakes are so much bigger & better at stopping these vans .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

skippy wrote:Wassup gary ? '

If ya can find a wrecked 02 to 05 2wd .... then do the spinle swap on the front & have the ford drilled for chevy 6 lug . & i'll buy the rear & springs from you .
otherwise have the ford drilled for chevy 5 x 5 .

sittin here looking at the 4 wheel discs & 16 " 6 lugs on the 05 i just got from dean ... i'm looking for a wrecked 05 so i can swap out to my 95 . the 4 wheel disc brakes are so much bigger & better at stopping these vans .
Hey Dan.Long time no talk to.The guy I have in line to build the 9" is actually up your way.Been doing 9"'ers for circle track guys for yrs.I think actually he's in Utica,NY.Maybe when I drop of the sample Astro housing got for him to copy,I drop you a line for a coffee meet with you.

Rochester,NY

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

utica is still a little more than an hour away , but give me a heads up when & maybe i can get some time to make the trip or hold off a PKG going that way .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Use front rotors for a 91 1LE Camaro. Bolt right on and you get 5X4.75. If you want disks something off a Jeep may be suitable for your needs.

If you still want 5X5 you can use 11" drums from a 78-79 LTD-II on the back. Jeeps also use a 5X5 pattern on the Grand Cherokees so you may be able to get discs there. I was thinking about some 13" stuff but the through hole is smaller than a Chevy's. . I'm just not sure if the Jeep/Ford stuff is the same through hole size or not so if you did it for the rears you may have to turn down the axle hub/spec Jeep stuff when you order or use hubcentric spacers if the jeep through holes are larger.

Whatever you do, don't do stock 5X5.5 in the back like I did. Wheel options are terrible. I have 15X7.5s in the back, but there are some 15X8s that actually look very close to Astro ralleys. So close they're what I should really be running.

Topic author
1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Mr_Roboto wrote:Use front rotors for a 91 1LE Camaro. Bolt right on and you get 5X4.75. If you want disks something off a Jeep may be suitable for your needs.

If you still want 5X5 you can use 11" drums from a 78-79 LTD-II on the back. Jeeps also use a 5X5 pattern on the Grand Cherokees so you may be able to get discs there. I was thinking about some 13" stuff but the through hole is smaller than a Chevy's. . I'm just not sure if the Jeep/Ford stuff is the same through hole size or not so if you did it for the rears you may have to turn down the axle hub/spec Jeep stuff when you order or use hubcentric spacers if the jeep through holes are larger.

Whatever you do, don't do stock 5X5.5 in the back like I did. Wheel options are terrible. I have 15X7.5s in the back, but there are some 15X8s that actually look very close to Astro ralleys. So close they're what I should really be running.
Gezzz-that's huge.Thanks alot!!!.Bookmarked this post.

Rochester,NY