Ring & Pinion teeth count

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: Ring & Pinion teeth count

Post by Stroverlander »

Good point, I have the same Jet programmer as you #15015, missed that the other one is the speed control unit.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

hey Crawler, your Jet will do more than one vehicle right? Ever travel up the 395? Not so subtle hint. :cheers:
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

It comes with 3 licenses, additional available for $100 each. If I ever travel up that way you're welcome to use it. I was nervous as hell watching the progress bar for 30 minutes or so. If anything goes wrong the vehicle is disabled and a new computer (or chip) is the only way out of that scenario. I get to do it again in a few weeks.

Looks like the unit he has will compensate for gearing and tire sizes depending on how the switches are set. Personally I don't like that the unit is an intermediate device. It seems to me that if the actual PCM, ECU or whatever knows what's up then it will make compensations correctly for engine management and such as well. His unit takes pulses from the VSS and adapts them for the PCM. The LUTS in the EEPROM don't change. I'm sure the end result is nearly the same, but the JET DST actually reprograms the EEPROM in the vehicles computer.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

I'm surprised to see that the programmer has 3 licenses, everything I've read says it can only be used on one vehicle at a time. Good to know if indeed it can be used on up to three.

Forgot there are two versions #15024 for 96-00 models and #15015 for 01-05.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

What 97 crawler has isn't the standard programmer you and I have. He has a dealership level programmer that is used with a laptop and has the ability to adjust almost EVERY aspect of the ECM. Our Jet 15015 programmers only allow a few mods and the rest is what they (Jet) programmed in as far as fuel tables etc.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Right on, the Dynamic Spectrum Tuner? Looks nice, I just installed the demo version to check out even though it doesn't look like it's compatible with '04 Astro.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:What 97 crawler has isn't the standard programmer you and I have. He has a dealership level programmer that is used with a laptop and has the ability to adjust almost EVERY aspect of the ECM. Our Jet 15015 programmers only allow a few mods and the rest is what they (Jet) programmed in as far as fuel tables etc.
Yes and no. I have BOTH a dealership level TECH 2 programmer AND a JET DST Part #: 14005. The TECH 2 lets me do any number of vehicles and the JET product lets me do up to three vehicles out of the box, and more if I purchase additional licenses.

JET DST Part #: 14005 is compatible with almost all GMC and Chevy trucks/vans since 1996. It will work on an '04 Safari no problem.

Anyway, semantics. If you can get your hands on one it's a pretty awesome little toy. Doesn't offer any on the fly functions though, which kinda blows.

I won't even get into the awesomeness of the TECH 2. Some folks around here think I'm some sort of moron for buying it.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

That's cool, sounds like you're well sorted with tuning tools! Down the road, may sell my 15015 programmer and pick up the DST for a bit more tuning potential.