rear end troubles

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: rear end troubles

Post by astroturf »

Thanks for the update.

I recently rebuilt my rear ends bearings also.

Jim

Topic author
completetech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by completetech »

Anyone have any good ideas / tricks for getting the shims back in easily?? Maybe it's the cold weather getting to us but the racer seems to not want to follow the bearing as much as we'd like so it doesn't want to go back in that easy.

So for today's work. Stick a fork in us cuz we're done. :). However either Tuesday or Wednesday it's supposed to be 40+ degrees so were gonna try and get to finishing up then as the cold wet days are affecting our work. When it's only about 15ish degrees out and windy it makes things not so pleasant. :(

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If you had a housing spreader, the shims slide right in. That being said, make sure you have the correct shim on the correct side. Start the carrier with both races and shims just started. You then use a rubber mallet to tap them into place hitting each side evenly. It MUST go in with some force or the carrier preload will be wrong. DO NOT grind anything off them!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy