Passenger axle tube leaking again

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
chesehd
I get chills without my van.

Passenger axle tube leaking again

Post by chesehd »

I replaced the bearing on the axle several years ago and all seemed well. I had a Haynes and between myself and a partner we did alright, or so I thought.

So fast forward less than a year, took the van in to a garage to get something done (I don't recall what) and I get shown a soaked drum and I'm told the shaft needs replacing. ( :yikes: eek!) Got it done, not cheap.

Fast forward almost a year, van is on a lift, same shop. Same problem. Pass side axle is leaking, they replace the axle shaft (again) no charge this time (which was very decent of them).

Today, I'm putting air in the tires and I get a familiar whiff. Same danged shaft is leaking all over the drum.

Including the original, this is the 3rd axle shaft, bearing & seal that has failed. Van has 123k miles.

Is it possible I'm looking at replacing the entire rear end just to keep the oil where it belongs? Or is there something obvious I need to be looking for?

I'm afraid the tube may have been set out of round (I don't know how) and that is why the seals keep on failing.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Passenger axle tube leaking again

Post by Smiliesafari »

If the replaced axle is used then it may already have a wear groove which will not seal properly. If the new seals are foreign made junk then they may be failing. You can check for an out of round condition by removing the axle and seal and measuring the bore with inside micrometers. Also check for any burrs that may be damaging the seal. Use a little sealer on the outside of the new seal when you install it. Be very careful to not let the axle drag across the seal when you install it. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
chesehd

Post by chesehd »

Smiliesafari wrote:If the replaced axle is used then it may already have a wear groove which will not seal properly. If the new seals are foreign made junk then they may be failing. You can check for an out of round condition by removing the axle and seal and measuring the bore with inside micrometers. Also check for any burrs that may be damaging the seal. Use a little sealer on the outside of the new seal when you install it. Be very careful to not let the axle drag across the seal when you install it. \:D/
The latest axle is new (as far as I know). I was chatting with a buddy of mine that's a true gearhead (I'm just the wannabe, he has a lift in his garage at home...looking for the jealous smiley). He told me about foreign vs GM seals and the diff they make.

If there are any burrs on the axle, do I use some 400 grit sandpaper to clean it or is there something else more appropriate?

What type of sealer do you suggest? Is there something that is specific for an axle?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ken
Ken

2003 AWD

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Axles are extremely hard. If you find a burr it will take a file to knock it down. Two sealers I use are Permatex Form-A-Gasket and RTV. Either will work fine. \:D/

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Since my passenger side axle seal is leaking again as well, this interests me. how would you use this sealer on the axle seal? Please describe.

Also, what are people's experience with the pinion bolt possible breaking. It has been mentioned to me that it could by my brother in law who runs his own shop. The last time I did it I had no problem, but since I used some thread lock on it when I re-installed, I am somewhat concerned about doing it myself and ending up with a broken bolt that I can't remove as my experience with broken bolts in general is that I have little success getting them out. I won't be able to do this until I return from a trip to the Harrisburg PA area at the end of next week, but want to decide if I want to do this job myself again, or shell out the money to have someone else do it. I will need to do the brakes anyway, so this would only be some added work.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I always put sealer on the outside area of the seal. The surface that touches the bore of the axle housing. It will help seal the axle housing just in case there are any irregularities in the housing bore. I have never had a pinion shaft bolt break. If you have used a thread locking compound then it will be prudent to use heat to break down the locking compound. Good luck.

Topic author
chesehd

Post by chesehd »

Wow, surprised to see this thread again!

The final solution was to let the ex-wife take the van and I got to wash my hands of the situation.

A little drastic but well worth it in the end. :muhaha:
Ken

2003 AWD