I think it's finally re-gear time. Where to source parts?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: I think it's finally re-gear time. Where to source part

Post by Herbie »

Herbie wrote:I can report that there is a slightly audible ratcheting from the rear on tight corners.
Well, shit.

No wonder there's ratcheting. Despite the fact that I asked for a Powertrax No-Slip several times, I realize on the final paperwork the p/n is for a Powertrax Lock-Right.

I need to double-check my initial paperwork to see if I missed it there too, or what, but dammit. *This* is why I initially wanted to source all my parts myself.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Wow, this is interesting. Did you have time to test the locker in dirt too?

The whole experience will be indeed a learning experience for all of us contemplating rear locker and re gearing.

Did you go with 4.11 ratio?

thank you,

AP

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi,

Wow, this is interesting. Did you have time to test the locker in dirt too?

The whole experience will be indeed a learning experience for all of us contemplating rear locker and re gearing.

Did you go with 4.11 ratio?

thank you,

AP
I ended up with OEM 4.10 gears. Going to wait to do a test in the dirt until the 300 mile break-in is complete, just so I don't accidentally stress anything. I'm miffed I didn't get what I asked for (No-Slip), but I was kind of waffling over the No-Slip vs. the Lock-Right anyhow, so I can probably live with what I have.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

So after a few months, here's the verdict:

The Powertrax Lock-Rite is a bad fit in my application. I think the main problem is that my van is way overloaded - I'm over the rear axle rating by more than 200 lbs.

At any rate, the on-road behavior I have is downright scary, so I'm about ready to contact the axle shop and have the OEM spider gears put back in. Off-road, the thing is magic. Great traction in silt, sand, whatever. But since 85%+ of my driving is on a road of some type, it just isn't a good tradeoff for the "locker lane change" and other poor road manners.

I really wish there was an uprated OEM axle that was a closer fit!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Herbie,

For my 2003 Astro, I have 2". Overland lift plus Monroe coil over shocks in rear and Bilsteins in front. 30" tires Cooper P245/75-16 AT3 4S standard load, with fender cladding trimmed. My OEM 3.42 axles. I have np231C with cable shift . Love the low range.

My van is not that heavy. I am almost ready to get 4.10 re gearing and perhaps a Eaton True Trac Torsten style helical gear locker for the rear.

AP
Attachments
Bilstein shocks up front firmed up front and raised height about 1 cm.
Bilstein shocks up front firmed up front and raised height about 1 cm.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

AstroPhysics: Did you get the gear upgrade and True Trac? If so, what do you think so far?
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Not yet. After reading the comments from Herbie, I got concerned about one of the so called gear driven Torson style power Trax units. They use helical gears, etc. Some manufacturers seem to be trying hard to really optimize them. But as we see, the 7.5 rear diff of Astro has less demand than larger rear diffs.

I was for a while also worried about a 4.10 ratio up front in the 7.25 front diff since the old tribal knowledge on the S10 Blazer forum was to stick with 3.73 ratio.??

Maybe the OEM G80 limited slip diff with friction plates should be re considered? For gentle off road it could last for a few years.

Also, I too really want to get the best set up possible. It is about $2300 for shop to do front and rear 4.10 ring and pinion. Maybe I will do that to get more low speed torque with my 30" tires. So far my off road stuff is not to severe and I just use low range to climb steep hills.

While it has been raining , I am updating my front 1/4" aluminum skid plate.

AP