I think it's finally re-gear time. Where to source parts?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: I think it's finally re-gear time. Where to source part

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I have yet to hear back from any yards in regards to a cast iron diff. It looks like I should have invested in the damn things and bought several when I had a chance.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Captn. Crunch wrote:I have yet to hear back from any yards in regards to a cast iron diff. It looks like I should have invested in the damn things and bought several when I had a chance.
Thanks for trying Captn'. I swear it's SO hard to get people to take my money some times.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Just for general knowledge.. The 7.2 ifs diff does have a carrier break. Meaning not all carriers will support all gear ratios. 3.08 is that break. So if one where to find a cast iron diff with 3.08's you would need special "thick gears" to make up for the difference in carrier sizing.
I'm just happy my van came with 3.73's and so did the cast diff.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Late to the party...

If I remember correctly, I think when T.Low did his he had Randy's Ring & Pinion do the install with Yukon gears. Looking at all gearing calculators on their site, I think 4.10 is a good compromise for all-around use with 30-31" tire diameter. For me, it would put rpm back very close to 3.73 ratio on stock diameter tires at cruising revs which is important to me as I wouldn't want to be buzzing around turning too high rpm on the highway.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with Yukon gears and other necessary parts from Randy's when the time comes.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Well, here I am, two years later, and I'm finally going to re-gear. For real this time. It's amazing how many interruptions and other "needs" that real life can throw at you, especially when you've got a tax-return cheque in-hand.

Two surprises:
1) After refreshing my quotes from all the local axle shops I'd contacted two years ago, the then-lowest-cost shop has gone up significantly (increased shop rate), while the then-second-lowest-cost shop is unchanged (and thus now is cheaper). Both have good reputations, so I'll be pivoting to the other shop.

2) After two+ years of semi-diligent searching and sending queries on car-part.com, etc., I haven't managed to find a cast-iron front diff for anything approaching a reasonable price. The yards that have them are either very proud of them, asking $750+, or won't return my calls and emails. Literally couldn't find someone to sell me one I can afford to rebuild in two years.

So I'll be sticking to the original diff case.

I plan to visit the shop to ink the deal and pay for the parts in the next couple of days, and they'll call for my van as soon as everything is in-hand.

EDIT: Parts are ordered. I haven't been this excited in quite a long time.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

That is exciting. It appears that ARB might have an air locker that fits rear diff of Astro.
Also, tried to investigate OX brand air locker.

Are you going with 4.10s 4.11s?

AP

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi,

That is exciting. It appears that ARB might have an air locker that fits rear diff of Astro.
Also, tried to investigate OX brand air locker.

Are you going with 4.10s 4.11s?

AP
Where have you seen an air locker for our application? I just checked both ARB and OX and it looks like they're still only offering lockers for the larger 8.5" 10-bolts.

Doing 4.11s.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Starts chant* :bounce: Herbie, Herbie, Herbie, :bounce:
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Quick question for those who might know:

So two years ago, when I thought I was pulling the trigger on gears, I bought a TA Performance Girdled rear diff cover. Some sources said the girdle might be helpful in preventing endcap issues, etc.

The gear shop was very dismissive of such items, however. Their biggest complaint was that since it's aluminum, the coefficient of expansion is so different from the steel of the housing that it can cause leaks, etc.

Anyone have thoughts/experience? Should I insist they use the Aluminum cover, or just stick with the OEM?

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Herbie,

Whoops, my bad. ARB locker for 8.5" 10 bolt rear diff like you indicate.

Wow,
Re gearing is a tough issue to solve, since many of us wish we could do the inst'all ourselves with readily available parts.

Now, I am think I may get the Cooper Discoverer, LT215/85-16 tires for more clearance off road. Since I drive slow anyway, maybe I can get by with my OEM 3.42 ratio.

The 4 speed Atlas transfer case from Advance adapters in Paso Robles is sounding better again to get effectively lower axle ratio without changing the ring and pinnon in axles.

Proposed t case ratios:
2 wd Hi. 1.0 to 1.0 ratio
2 WD Mid 1.5 to 1

4 WD Hi 1.0 to 1
4 WD mid. 1.5 to 1

4 WD Lo. 2.72 to 1

Or how about a new transmission 6 speed with super low 1st gear to allow axles to stay at 3.42 ratio.

AP

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi Herbie,

Whoops, my bad. ARB locker for 8.5" 10 bolt rear diff like you indicate.

Wow,
Re gearing is a tough issue to solve, since many of us wish we could do the inst'all ourselves with readily available parts.

Now, I am think I may get the Cooper Discoverer, LT215/85-16 tires for more clearance off road. Since I drive slow anyway, maybe I can get by with my OEM 3.42 ratio.

The 4 speed Atlas transfer case from Advance adapters in Paso Robles is sounding better again to get effectively lower axle ratio without changing the ring and pinnon in axles.

Proposed t case ratios:
2 wd Hi. 1.0 to 1.0 ratio
2 WD Mid 1.5 to 1

4 WD Hi 1.0 to 1
4 WD mid. 1.5 to 1

4 WD Lo. 2.72 to 1

Or how about a new transmission 6 speed with super low 1st gear to allow axles to stay at 3.42 ratio.

AP
AP, yes, you can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out "best". I debated gearing for a long time, and strongly considered just trying to Junkyard source OEM 3.73 assemblies that I could just change the oil on and bolt-in, but ultimately I figured I spend a lot of time climbing hills, so I'd like to take some of the strain off in that scenario. I'm also allowing that I may go slightly taller on the next set of tires. Ultimately, I don't think there's a "wrong" answer.

I know a guy who went well into six figures building a monster rig with the best of everything - cummins engine, regeared axles with lockers, killer custom-built flatbed and camper, not to mention all the bumpers and suspension, etc.

He drove it like a year and sold it and bought a Jeep, and is back to sleeping in a tent.

I told the family that this particular investment means we're keeping the van for several more years at least. My Kiddo was getting worried because she loves the van like a sibling but the Mrs has been eyeballing Winnebago Revels and other larger sprinter-based things.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Small update: Turns out my rear axle housing is bent, too.

Axle shop is going to pull the axle and straighten things. They say it won't be any weaker than before, but no stronger either.

I feel like the universe is telling me I should have kept saving for a custom 9" or something...

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Awww, yeah. Gears and locker installed. Started the break-in procedure today.

So far, my impressions are positive. Can definitely feel that there's a bit more power available on the freeway. More importantly, there's no hunting or the need for a screaming downshift when trying to get on the freeway. I'll try to find some hills to climb soon.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Nice! :cheers:

What brand gears did you end up going with?
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Stroverlander wrote:Nice! :cheers:

What brand gears did you end up going with?
After some back and forth, I ended up going with OEM 4.10s front and rear. My axle guy made a solid case for overall quietness and durability, given the number of freeway miles I still expect to pull.

Still working through the break-in and heat-cycling, but I can report that there is a slightly audible ratcheting from the rear on tight corners. I'm going to follow up to see if this is expected - I sort of thought that the No-Slip wouldn't do this as much because it has the syncro rings.