AstroSafariVans.com

The premier site for Astro and Safari van information
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: G80 & GT4 for 2004 AWD Astro Conversion
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good point Ron. What was the style of these worn out units? Clutched LSD? G-80? The wear factor is what led me to install Torsens in both my diffs. The front unit comes with a lifetime transferable warranty so I would feel pretty confident with a used Torsen. Ever a refurbished unit will put you at the mercy of the quality of parts used in the re-build

1999 Safari SLE AWD
np236 transfer case
Torsen equipped cast iron front diff
Torsen equipped rear w/3.73's
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
Stock for now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:10 am 
I am merely driving my van

Captn. Crunch,

I may have found a unicorn. It's a 2004 Chevy Blazer (89k) with "high wider performance package (opt ZR2), transfer case opt NP1 (3 switch dash control), AT (3.73 ratio, opt GT4)." Looks like I can grab the transfer case from it as well. I still need to do the magnet test. Interestingly, the Blazer front assembly is less expensive and closer than any I could find on an Astro.

A couple questions:

1) Can I use my existing front axles? This would be good as I recently replaced one of the hubs when the ABS quit working.

2) What did you use for a torsion differential in the front of your van? Not sure I'm ready to go this route. Yet, I'm intrigued and considering it. If I have found a unicorn, I can always add a front torsion later on.

FYI: I'm still working on sourcing parts for the rear. Can't find a rear assembly (GT4 & G80) with low mileage anywhere near me. A rebuild might be my best option. If so, I'm considering the Detroit Truetrac, as recommended. It is starting to feel like a winter project as the summer season is upon me and I want to be out adventuring not turning wrenches. Just the same, it would be good to get all the parts lined up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forrestmccarthy wrote:
1) Can I use my existing front axles?

You mean if you just swap the rear end? You just need to ensure that the front and rear gear ratios match.
Or you mean put the Blazer front diff into your Astro front axle? You would need to match the spline count of the side gears to your hub.

forrestmccarthy wrote:
I can always add a front torsion later on.

Personally I think it's overkill.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:27 am 

Yes, put the Blazer front differential in my Astro front axle. At the same time, through a swap or rebuild, I would change my rear gearing to 3.73 as well.

Quote:
"For the front go to car-parts.com and search for front axle assy. for chevy S-10 Zr2. They all came with 3.73’s. Find one with manual transmission and three button tc and it’s probably a cast iron diff vs. our aluminum. That’s what I did." - Captn. Crunch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It may be possible. You'll have to research it thoroughly first.

What is the output of your front axle? Flange or spline? How many spline? Does it match the Blazer differential?
Setting up gears is no small task. It is a lot of painstaking work (or expensive) with uncommon tools. You're always better off using an assembled axle. You might be able to get away with reusing your axle if you just swap the CV shafts.
I think one of the reasons people swapped the front axle is they could use the disconnect feature and save a bit on fuel consumption.

For a start, have a look at ihatemybike's Astro page. You'll find some useful stuff there.
http://sites.google.com/site/astrosafariworld

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forrestmccarthy wrote:
Captn. Crunch,

I may have found a unicorn. It's a 2004 Chevy Blazer (89k) with "high wider performance package (opt ZR2), transfer case opt NP1 (3 switch dash control), AT (3.73 ratio, opt GT4)." Looks like I can grab the transfer case from it as well. I still need to do the magnet test. Interestingly, the Blazer front assembly is less expensive and closer than any I could find on an Astro.

A couple questions:

1) Can I use my existing front axles? This would be good as I recently replaced one of the hubs when the ABS quit working.

2) What did you use for a torsion differential in the front of your van? Not sure I'm ready to go this route. Yet, I'm intrigued and considering it. If I have found a unicorn, I can always add a front torsion later on.

FYI: I'm still working on sourcing parts for the rear. Can't find a rear assembly (GT4 & G80) with low mileage anywhere near me. A rebuild might be my best option. If so, I'm considering the Detroit Truetrac, as recommended. It is starting to feel like a winter project as the summer season is upon me and I want to be out adventuring not turning wrenches. Just the same, it would be good to get all the parts lined up.

The front diff will not be cast iron as the doner vehicle was an automatic transmission. I wouldn’t worry a whole lot about that though, the aluminum will hold up fine for 99% of the world. I got one because it was there and so why not.
Front torsen- https://www.ebay.com/itm/MFactory-GMC-S ... 1844126253
Yes you can use the astro front axles. Simply pull out the Blazer units and stuff yours in. You will need to swap over the front prop shaft flange as well. They are not the same.
Find the rear end you want and call them. Ask how much to ship. They ship stuff like that using motor freight all the time

1999 Safari SLE AWD
np236 transfer case
Torsen equipped cast iron front diff
Torsen equipped rear w/3.73's
2" body lift
S-10 rear leafs
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
Stock for now