Astro Van 93 2wd to 4x4 conversion ...

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
AquaAngel
I finally get the smurf thing

Astro Van 93 2wd to 4x4 conversion ...

Post by AquaAngel »

Well after all this time, my van is running pretty good and i love the sound of my new Exhaust and all, but i'm in need of another project and i can't come up with anything else other than taking my van apart again and putting a 4x4 drivetrain in it.

My question to all of you, how long would it take to do such conversion as i have a 93 Astro Van and i think we need to swap the Subframe off a AWD van, Do i need any wiring off the same vehicle in order to make the 4x4 work as i want to stay with the mechanical Shift, not the push button one. i have already an ECU currently on my Van for the V8 off a 4x4 Suburban.

Now i spoke to a friend here on this forum and he mentioned something about the oil pan. Now my oil pan is chrome after market "DUh!" is this something that i should be considering as i will obviously keep my motor.

I also have a spare Transfer case "np 241" and need a transnmission to take that TC.

ANy help would be nice...

Thank you
Angel
93 Astro Van army blue [V8/350/5.7L]
------------

Chevy owned:
93 Astro cargo Van "Phantom Rebel"
98 GMC Safari AWD
09 GMC C5500 6.6L, Duramax "3 ton truck"

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Astro Van 93 2wd to 4x4 conversion ...

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

That is a relatively easy swap. You need an AWD subframe, front diff with the same gear ratio as your current rear axle. You will need to either convert your current transmission to a 4x4 model which requires a complete disassembly or install a 4x4 transmission. You would need appropriate drive shafts for the transfer case you use. You might be able to use the 241 you have as long as it is 27 spline input (from a 1/2 ton) and you get the correct adapter. You would need a modified engine oil pan to make room for the front diff. If you do a 4" welded pipe lift you might be able to get away with the fancy pan you have now.

Sounds like a great project...maybe keep what you have and build another?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

it has been bugging me for a while since i have put my van back on the road, it would be a nice project, it is do-able, but it would be intensive.

i think i will go with plane B. Get an AWD astro and slap a 4x4 system on there. no need to put a v8 in it anyway as it will be a winter driving van. No need for power. i want power, i'll drive my beast.
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I agree.
As a guy with 3 vans pretty much all drivable, I can say I like my 2wd for some things and my awd for other things and my 4wd for well, sunny days.
If your gonna do an AWD/4WD, you should get another van in half decent shape that is awd, to start off with. Drive your V8 2wd in the meanwhile, and on sunny days.
If you really want to do another cool mod to it, do 5 speed or 6 speed !!
Like lifted said, If you dont do a 4" pipe lift you will need an oilpan for an awd v8.
JTR sells a really cheap part to help you fab one out of a stock 4.3 pan. You need a SBC to bolt it onto to weld it up.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_ ... ilPan.html
Some Bozos on "That Other Site" tried and tried to sell me a 2wd v8 pan , insisting it would fit my 4wd van!
Whatever, I called GrandAmLE and Chevymaher Butt Heads and got booted from that awesome site. Hooray. They both Suck
Anyways, even better than the oil pan is the custom motor mounts you will need to make for an AWD with a v8, If you can find a place that sells them let us know !!
They look like this:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9346
So sticking with the v6 for a winter snow beater is a good plan. Thats why I have one.
Its getting harder to find no rust Gen1 vans now.
Heres a cargo for a price similar to what I got my 90awd for.
http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-a ... o_21944888
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

reviving this thread, i'm seriously thinking on doing a 4x4 upgrade on my 93 astro van. what year will be suitable to put a AWD subframe in there? do i need to do something different in the diff both front and back? i know i will eventually have to replace my rear diff to work with the front diff.

i know the tc will have to be taking off a 4x4 chevy truck like suburban or blazer
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Since you already have a coil spring set up, why not do a Dana 44 strait axle conversion? Just a thought. I have an AWD setup and not happy with the extreme axle shaft angles associated with a big lift. Eats inner CV joint boots. I am lowering the front diff 1.75" to relieve the shaft angles. It also gives more clearance between the oil pan. Now, all that being said, lol, I am building a Dana 44 front axle to go under my van. It just alleviates so many short comings with the puny stock IFS set up. A Dana 44 out of a late 70's ford bronco or F150 4x4 will fit up under the van nicely
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

That is a pretty kick ass set up there.

i just got in today actually and getting a 2001 AWD safari van for 500 bux. the tranny may or may not go and i personally don't care as all of it will go and put a 4x4 drivetrain in there. i just bought it today and it will be on my driveway tomorrow. so my plan will be to put a 4x4 in there, good bad ass tires, led bars on the roof and front bumper like the 50" and give it a nice 2" lift.

No v8 motor on it though

So in other words? i'm following you guys advice. will keep my blue beast as is and pimp the other one as a 4x4. i personally like my blue beast the it is anyway.
:cheers:
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

here is my new project

------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

My 1st lifted van back in her glory days.
Good luck with your project bud !
Mine was the best thing ever in the snow !
Attachments
March 108.jpg
September 021.jpg

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

OK, i'm facing a weird fight with my buddy in Arizona saying not all AWD subframe will fit under my 93 astro. i say it does and he says NO.

Can any AWD of any years safari or astro can fit under my beast?

As i will change my mind after all. as i definitely need a second running van, i will keep my 2001 as is and get my beast as a project. Again :D OMG HEY!.

So as of now, i am not gonna take the other one apart as the 2001 just need some break work on it, but still want to upgrade my blue beast to a 4x4, now just need to make sure that any subframe will fit under my beast. if not? which will be compatible.

Thank you
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

2wd and Awd sub-frames ALL use the same 6 bolt frame pattern to attach to the frame to the body.
The same 6 bolts where you can put the 6 body lift blocks.

So YES All sub-frames will bolt to ANY 2wd or Awd Astro or Safari body.

Not all sub-frames are the same from year to year, as far as other minor configuration things go......
But the 6 bolt pattern that holds the frame to the body is the same on every astro/safari.

So, for example, if you got an AWD subrame from a 2005 AWD donor van, it would bolt right into a 1987 2wd Short body van.
Even if you were lucky enough to have an old body with a factory 5-speed trans and a factory clutch pedal installed ;)

There would be some differences in the construction of the frame, but it would bolt in.
Plus it is an easy way to set up some more modern brakes and wheels on an older van, especially if you also swapped in the Rear springs wheels and rear axle (complete with disk brakes) from the same 2005 donor, as well as the brake master cylinder and boost system. = Rear disk brakes, 16" six bolt wheels all around, and AWD in an old shorty van with a 5 speed preferably, lol.

You Will NEED to run an AWD style oil pan in an AWD frame, AND AWD style engine mounts, so be certain to get hose from your donor van as well.
If installing a SBC V8, you will need to fab or modify your own mounts and modify the oil pan, and you may have to relocate the oil filter to clear driveshaft.
heres the info on the pan, http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_ ... ilPan.html

Good luck Brother. Your buddy didnt do his homework I guess...... He isnt saying that from "That Other Site" is he ? if so, no surprise there.
That site doesn't value accurate information as much as it values hot air.
1 person in particular comes to mind as someone over there with lots to say, much of it is just wrong, and he is a moderator. Jeeze !

Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

If you REALLY want to do it right... then just throw a REAL truck 4x4 drive-train under the van... not AWD. Just my $.02
Something like this:
4x4 Gen 2.jpg
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com