replacing TC motor

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
jkredwing
I am merely driving my van

replacing TC motor

Post by jkredwing »

My 2000 AWD is not engaging in AWD. I've been told the most common prob is the encoder motor so I bought one. In the instructions it said to clear atc codes before using. As you know, shops that have scanners for this are not open for the next couple of days which is my time limit. 1) Is this even important and if it is, how do I clear the codes and 2) how do I get that front driveshaft CV from TC without damaging any seals? My son is moving to Colorado the morning of the 26th and I have to get the AWD to work. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: replacing TC motor

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I can't answer on clearing the codes except for reading the thread about swapping in a NP 233 electric shift t-case. There is something about clearing codes.

As for removal for the front driveshaft, you need to remove the shaft from the front diff. My 2005 is 4 bolts. Once that is loose, let it lay on the exhaust pipe and using a light hammer, tap on the driveshaft at the t-case end while pulling it off. It should pop right loose. No worries about a seal as the shaft never touches it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
jkredwing

Post by jkredwing »

Thank you, it sure felt like there was a clip in there or something keeping it from coming out from the Tcase . I'll try tapping it out. Then I can get that bolt out. With any luck, once I replace the tc motor, the AWD will work and the code will just go away.

Topic author
jkredwing

Post by jkredwing »

Using a piece of hardwood I was able to tap the cv off of the output shaft far enough for the bolt to clear, popped in new motor and after a test drive up and down my snow packed road it was nice to feel that AWD kick in instead of just one wheel spinning going nowhere! While I was working on it I had removed the atc fuse hoping that might reset the codes, not sure if it worked but the service awd light is off. Now I gotta replace the passenger side door handle that broke right after test drive. Seems like some of these things were designed on a Friday just before 5pm. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You are welcome. Glad it's working. Merry Christmas to you too!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy