Service AWD light

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Service AWD light

Post by astrojohn »

The Servicde AWD light comes on at intermittent times. I could drive it somewhere, shut it off, and when I start back up, the light is on.
When that happens, I notice the light on the dash, blinks about 4 times, and I hear a click of a relay or signal flasher each time the light flashes. I hear it under the dash on the driver side.
I've read that this condition is caused by corrosion or debris in the plug in, on the transfer case.
I've also read there's wires corroded behind the battery? What could be there for the AWD?
Does anyone know how to scan for the codes for the awd? Does anyone know what all the codes for awd are?
I do alot of the work myself, and would like to tackle this one too, just need some advice, and information.
If anyone has the wiring circuit diagram for the awd and transmission, I would like that also.
Thanks to all who take the time out to help.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Service AWD light

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I don't think the service AWD line of codes can be scanned with a basic code reader. I think it needs a higher tech tool.

What you can do in the meantime is to start at the t-case and pull all connectors and inspect/clean/lube with di-electric grease and work your way back through the harness. Under the dash is a TCCM (transfer case control module) that is probably making the noise you hear. As for any connections behind the battery, you can remove it and take apart and inspect those connections as well. You might get lucky and find an issue and all you'll be out is some time.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
astrojohn
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrojohn »

Has anyone ever had the transfer case motor go out. If you did, what were the symptoms?
Did your service awd light come on, when, and how often.
Mine goes out overnight, and when I drive to work in the morning. On my way home, it will come on, and stay on.
I stop to do a few errands, and when I re start, it comes on.
If the motor is going out, I would like to tackle it before this winter.
Is there anything I need to know in the change?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

There have been many who have changed the motor. Start searching and reading through the threads.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy