Quest for another 2 speed w/AWD transfer case

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Quest for another 2 speed w/AWD transfer case

Post by MountainManJoe »

Sorry to hear that. We have a shortage of teachers up here! :dunce:

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:thankfully I make my own hard apple cider! :muhaha: :partyman:
That will help pass some time, but it might nothelp you get the extra cash. Good luck, keep the pix flowin...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nice thing about her losing her job is that she gets call-back rights for 7 years. What this means is if any elementary position opens up in that time she has to be offered the job. There is also the possibility there will be enough retirements to open up a position. We won't know that until August time frame.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Sorry to hear about the lay-off Dean. My wife used to stress that during her first few years of teaching. The last few years, it hasn't been a layoff, but being moved to another schoo/teaching position. (Due to retires and new hires, she has moved up the seniority chain very quickly.)

Certainly a good possibility Firecakes will be retained if someone retires. Bummer that you live in limbo until you find out for sure though. While not full-time, I'd guess she would have a nearly full schedule as a sub since she is well known in the district. (I don't know what subbing pays there, but around here, it is almost a better alternative; take days off when you want, and none of the extra after/before school hours of prepping!)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Thanks Matt. This is her first year on a tenure track position so she is low man on totem pole. Once there is another person hired after her she'll be more secure for sure. If she does go back to subbing, she'll be working most every day as she was requested a lot! Sub pay varies around here from school district to school district but runs from $75 to $100 a day. You are right about picking what days to work and not having to put in 2-3 hours of work at home every day. I like it when she is home during the week days sometimes. :muhaha: :yawinkle:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

El_Fuego
I am merely driving my van

Post by El_Fuego »

Hello everyone! I would like to know Is there real difference between AWD & 4WD?

I know the theory, but I can't compare these systems in real life. I drive Isuzu with 4WD Part-time now. This car gets stuck when two wheels are slipping (one is on front axle and one is on rear axle).

When AWD car will get stuck (when two wheels are slipping or only one)?
Nothing is impossible!! (c)
Sorry for my English, I just learn it!

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

there are many different AWD systems from mechanical to fluid to electronic. AWD in most cases is a misnomer as is 4WD; neither provides traction to all four wheels but rather 2: one front and one rear. The primary difference, again in most cases, between AWD (also known as full time 4WD) and 4WD (also known as part time 4WD), is that in AWD there is a clutch of some sort between the front and rear axles (in the transfer case) that allows a certain amount of slippage between the two. This allows the vehicle to be driven on hard surfaces without drivetrain bind.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

El_Fuego

Post by El_Fuego »

photo_van wrote:there are many different AWD systems from mechanical to fluid to electronic. AWD in most cases is a misnomer as is 4WD; neither provides traction to all four wheels but rather 2: one front and one rear. The primary difference, again in most cases, between AWD (also known as full time 4WD) and 4WD (also known as part time 4WD), is that in AWD there is a clutch of some sort between the front and rear axles (in the transfer case) that allows a certain amount of slippage between the two. This allows the vehicle to be driven on hard surfaces without drivetrain bind.
Ok, let's speak specifically about Astro with NP136. Will it moving if one wheel is in the air (doesn't touch surface)?

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I have a '98 that had the viscous coupler, not the NP 136 so others may have more knowledge then me on this. But as I understand it, the NP 136 uses electronically controlled clutches to engage power to the front axle. I would think that if this is working correctly, that two wheels, one front one rear, would have power when needed.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

While the NP136 will engage the front and provide power to both front and rear when needed, having 1 tire in the air will negate that transfer of power unless that differential has a limited slip or locker installed. If you have an open rear diff, you essentially only have 2 wheel drive since the front diff is also open.

The only way to get true 4 wheel drive is with lockers in both diffs. Some AWD/4WD vehicles use a brake based traction control to put power to the wheel(s) with the most traction to get you moving. My Tundra will do that when in 4WD so that I get great traction at low speeds. Problem is it cuts engine power as well.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

El_Fuego

Post by El_Fuego »

Thanks all for answers.

So if I want real 4WD I should change the transfer case and axles. In this way I should choose transfer case. Nevertheless I want all-time drive mode and electric shifting. Only one TC fits to this parameters - NV244. It has AWD, 4WD-hi, 4WD-low, neutral.

Is it possible to install NV244 on Astro '96-2005? I found out only installation 242, 231, 233, 236 transfer cases.

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The NV244 was used in Dodge/Jeep applications like the 242 was. You could possibly modify it and wire up the electronics to work sort of like photovan did. I would recommend using a GM spec'd NV236 transfer case. It will have the correct input/output spline counts and the VSS/TCCM are already incorporated into GM wiring. This transfer case will give Auto AWD mode as well as 2WD HI, 4WD HI and 4LO.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

will the 236 work? I thought there was some issue with it having to read the appropriate VIN?
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I don't recall that part. I wonder if it could be programmed easily.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I don't recall that part. I wonder if it could be programmed easily.
I think there might be something to this. I seem to recall reading about it when I've done research on the 5.3L swap and the computer reprogramming that needs to be done. I think when swapping into a 99+, it would need a reflash, and there are several people doing this for about $150 on the ls boards. (I think a person can do there own programming, but I don't know who is offering the software and what it costs. Or the difficulty of using it....)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!