AWD Engage/Defeat switch?

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: AWD Engage/Defeat switch?

Post by Cobra »

oh that looks like the CRV model my friends father had and he loved it. Never got stuck and used it on his farm i drove it there on some less then groomed paths with ease his was a 1996. He traded it for a new one and didn't seem too pleased with it especially the massive molded bumper his wife broke within 6 months of buying it
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Yeah, all these things seem to 'grow up'. I have no interest (or budget) for a newer CR-V. I'm looking for a vehicle in the 3-3500 lb range to tow and their aren't many choices with AWD or 4wd.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Drummernaut »

Meterpig wrote:What I do want is an "off" switch so I can do cookies in the parking lot. Sounds cheesy but hey-what is an all wheel drive van for if not to do donuts?
Sorry to bring this thread back up but since I posted about this in another place I thought this is the best place to post about a switch.

For 99 and up you could take the circuit I messed with here( viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8948 ) and modify it like in the picture below. I wanted an approach that would allow the electronic circuit to see a load no matter what. Either the load goes to the motor or to the dump resistor. I think this would be better than turning the whole electronic circuit on and off with a switch or by pulling the fuse. You would not have an AWD service light and you could use a lighted switch/push button mounted anywhere. This circuit could be used while running the vehicle.
Attachments
Components would be a 12VDC DPDT 20 amp relay and base $30+ from grainger. A switch/push button from car parts store and a 1 ohm 300W resistor. We have a few lying around at work but you can find them on Ebay.
Components would be a 12VDC DPDT 20 amp relay and base $30+ from grainger. A switch/push button from car parts store and a 1 ohm 300W resistor. We have a few lying around at work but you can find them on Ebay.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I don't think it will work. When the TCCM senses that that a wheel is still slipping, despite the encoder motor (or in this case resistor) being energized, it will illuminate the Service AWD light.

Drummernaut

Post by Drummernaut »

timelessbeing wrote:I don't think it will work. When the TCCM senses that that a wheel is still slipping, despite the encoder motor (or in this case resistor) being energized, it will illuminate the Service AWD light.
I think you are right. I did some more reading and found the first DTC would probably be C0305.

It says a DTC would be set if front speed is less than 16 rpm and all following conditions are true:

Transmission not in park or Neutral
Engine is running
Rear propshaft speed exceeds 512 RPM
VCM Monitored vehicle speed exceeds 10 MPH

All of which would be true when doing donuts!! Sorry. I should have read up more the sensors.

It will still work fine for dry pavement driving. As I have found by monitoring my LED, the circuit does activate when starting from a dead stop depending on how hard you are on the gas.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Where did you find those DTC conditions?

Drummernaut

Post by Drummernaut »

I have factory service manuals. Best investment for the van so far. If you need me to look something up, let me know.