T.Low's take on transfer case swap 2spd electronic shift,

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

T.Low's take on transfer case swap 2spd electronic shift,

Post by T.Low »

The night before I leave on a 10 day vacation, I find a '97 Blazer on Craigs list, sans motor. I tell my buddy at work, (who we will refer to as "Larry", because thats his name), that I have absolutely no time to go get the Blazer, and really nowhere to put it if I could get it, but of course it has the correct 2spd transfer case (NP233c) to swap into my van , and the seemingly impossible to find in the Pacific Northwest slavage yards Transfer Case Control Module and wiring.

"Larry" says, "No problem, rent me a dolly and I will go get the Blazer and keep it at my house for you." I told him I didn't know any "Dollies" or where to find one outside of Whistler, and besides, "you're married!" I said.

Suffice it to say, when I returned from my vacation, Larry had the S10 Blazer in his yard. YeeHa.

Last night I go over to get the transfer case and parts I need off the s10 Blazer. Larry says it would go a lot quicker if we didn't have to crawl around in the dirt under the Blazer. He likes to stand while he works. He hooks a chain to the top of the Blazer's door well and across the roof and pulls the Blazer over onto its side with his pick-up. A beautiful display of WT Ingenuity if ever I've seen one.

He gets out of the truck, we both nod at our good progress so far, and walk around to the view the undercarriage of the Blazer while standing upright, hands in pockets. Ahh, accessibility.

"Larry", I say as I look across his 5 acre parcel toward his garage, "we are 100 yards from your tool box aren't we".

Larry looks around from behind the underside of the Blazer and squints "yeah, we are. Hmm".

Well, the parts are now in my garage, Larry's wife came out and pulled the Blazer back onto all fours, and now I'll to schedule shop time at my brother in laws house. I think he's busy this weekend, so hopefully next weekend. That will give me time to sort out the huge wiring harness (from the Blazer) taking up half my back garage, clean the transfer case and read Deans post again on WTF I'm doing so I don't slow down my brother in law too much.

Link to original ASV electronic transfercase swap thread: (If you are looking for the basic technical info, read this link first)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=955

Fiancee's camera was "full", so I didn't get to record Larry's job prep methods for the forum. #-o Will try to be more prepared for the actual install.

Cheers

Edit: added link
Last edited by T.Low on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: T.Low's take on transfer case swap 2spd electronic shift,

Post by dunedog »

\:D/ We be dancin' now! :supz:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Sik 'em, tiger! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

... one please as I express myself ...

WTF!?

DUDE!?
I call a smelly LAIR when I asked what you were doing this weekend .. "Whistler" is in BC ... sure you were not here physically but good'ole Larry could have meet some of folks ya know!? Shame on you! :)

PS get those photos posted!
Why do I have this gut feeling when the 2-speed TC is done you will go for a V8 swap?

I think we need to get our road race done soon >.<
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

While you have the Transfer case out and sitting on the bench it might be worth some time to open it up and see how good of shape it is in. Putting some bearings in now will be alot easier than pulling it out later. I hope since you were apparently using the red neck removal method you atleast went whole hog and just used a chop saw.

Remember nothing says fun like a molten sawsall blade. O:)
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Yeah, the thought :-k of looking inside the T case has popped into my mellon a few times. Probably should do my due diligence and open 'er up for a quick peek while she's sitting on the work bench in all her glory.

And no =; V8 for Tommyboy, Phrisk...not sure why not. I keep looking at my list, and its not on there, thats all. Lets see; 2spd T case, front recovery points, swing away spare tire carrier, swing away mountain bike carrier, rear back up lights integral with rear bumper a la DuneDawgs, passenger seat swivel base, pop top, external shower system, upgraded stereo system, Florida Room off the awning,trans cooler, heavy duty radiator, pillar gauges, your leather seats, solar power with house battery system...nope, no V8 anywhere on the list. Hmm.

But you'll be the first to know if I ever do suddenly find it on the list somewhere. O:)
ImageImageImageImage

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

How come you do not have the tranny cooler in yet? That gave me a lot of comfort when I was off-roading and towing brought down the temps a lot! *cough ... take my seats of your list [-o<

Gonna be away this weekend with a bunch of kidz. I will post photos when done.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

phr1$k37 wrote:
How come you do not have the tranny cooler in yet? That gave me a lot of comfort when I was off-roading and towing brought down the temps a lot! *cough ... take my seats of your list [-o<

Gonna be away this weekend with a bunch of kidz. I will post photos when done.

Because I have not perfected the art of driving and wrenching simultaneously at the same time.

Have a good trip.
ImageImageImageImage

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

"Florida room off the awning"
:cheers: :supz:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

T.Low wrote:
And no =; V8 for Tommyboy, Phrisk...not sure why not. I keep looking at my list, and its not on there, thats all. Lets see; 2spd T case, front recovery points, swing away spare tire carrier, swing away mountain bike carrier, rear back up lights integral with rear bumper a la DuneDawgs, passenger seat swivel base, pop top, external shower system, upgraded stereo system, Florida Room off the awning,trans cooler, heavy duty radiator, pillar gauges, your leather seats, solar power with house battery system...nope, no V8 anywhere on the list. Hmm.
On your external shower unit,you planning on a tankless water heater shower head type unit?How big a storage tank you thinking of? :-k ...
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

hey punk I called Abes seats along time ago you will have to put your name second or possibly third on the list of who gets to steal his seats. My new van even has the front bench shoulder belt on the passenger side so I won't even have to mod the seat it will just drop right in. :poke:
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Kidhauler wrote:hey punk I called Abes seats along time ago you will have to put your name second or possibly third on the list of who gets to steal his seats. My new van even has the front bench shoulder belt on the passenger side so I won't even have to mod the seat it will just drop right in. :poke:

First Brock in Ontario, then the dump and chase in Salt Lake City, now Crash KidHauler Kevin with Phrisk's leather seats! :canuk: :swords: :usa: :peep:
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

snapple wrote:
T.Low wrote:
On your external shower unit,you planning on a tankless water heater shower head type unit?How big a storage tank you thinking of? :-k ...

I have other things further up the list, so the shower system is not completely thought out yet. Basically, I want to move the spare tire out from its OEM pstion under the truck to the back door, making room for a water tank underneath. Then possibly a shurflo pump or ? and heat exchanger and RV external shower . SOmething similar to this:

skroll down the page
http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipme ... part2.html

Let me know if you have any ideas. :-k
ImageImageImageImage

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

T.Low wrote: First Brock in Ontario, then the dump and chase in Salt Lake City, now Crash KidHauler Kevin with Phrisk's leather seats! :canuk: :swords: :usa: :peep:

:yikes: Well then you will need to get by ME then Chloe to get to my seats!!!!

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Another typical Sunday at the in-laws. Betty and Wilma go shopping while Jason and his 5 yr old Ethan and 3 yr old Sasha and myself all play with the van.

The wiring diagrams on ASV came in quite handy for everything but the TCCM. Jason used his Alldata program on his garage computer to look up the wiring schematics from the donor vehicle for that, in this case a '97 S10 Blazer.

Up onto the hoist in Jasons garage, dissasembly was routine, reassembly was almost too easy.

The NP233C bolts strait in. My original drive shafts both fit right in as far as length is concerned. One problem, that my brother in law made quick work of; the clocking on the 233 is a little different for the front drive shaft so there is crossmember interference. It took Jason about 15 minutes to cut a notch in the crossmember with his plasma cutter, then weld in some reinforcement, grind it down and spray some paint on it. Now there is plenty of clearence for the front driveshaft. Good to go.

The sound of the elctronic motor is music to my ears. Now mounting the push button switch.

Pics in a day or so. Wohoo!
ImageImageImageImage