How to wire up a NP 236 in place of a 136.

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

trip_south
I am smitten with my van

Re: How to wire up a NP 236 in place of a 136.

Post by trip_south »

Congrats! Good luck with 4lo. I've tried rolling mine while attempting the shift and no luck. That was with transmission in neutral (or drive, or park), engine on, 2-3 mph. Not even a sound from the tccm or encoder motor.

I put in for a replacement encoder motor as long as I'm still under warranty so we'll see.
99 Safari AWD -> 4WD slowly Update: Auto 4wd, 2Hi, 4Hi work, no luck with shifting to 4lo

RINNY
I get chills without my van.

Post by RINNY »

Yup no luck here either with 4L. my friend and I will do some test lighting on that circuit when it comes back from the painter and the programing guy. end of July it is looking like.

borzoi
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by borzoi »

I assume that the info in this thread is great. However, I can see no images. The all say that I need to upgrade my photobucket account. What is that all about?

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

borzoi wrote:I assume that the info in this thread is great. However, I can see no images. The all say that I need to upgrade my photobucket account. What is that all about?
Photobucket recently broke the entire farking internet by changing their policy on remote linking. Literally millions of images have gone offline, to be replaced by that notice. The owners of the photos are being held ransom to have the image linking restored. It's either that or move the photos to new hosting and re-edit every post they've ever made with photos!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Well thank you Photobucket for making all forums using your hosting service pretty much useless now. :butthead:
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle
Journeys rear spring hangers and shackles, S-10 leaf springs, 2" body lift
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers

Snowgeek

Post by Snowgeek »

Well my family left for 4 days so here is my window to tackle this.

I was able to connect with each of the pictures and am creating a word document manual from Racrx7's posts that I will be excited to share. It will outline the procedure with all of the relevant information and pictures in place. Truly I did this so that I could more clearly break the information down for my mind to follow but It would be a shame for this information to be lost due to Photo Bucket so I will attach the file here when it is ready.

- The following was asked a while back by someone else but seemed to be only kind of answered
• "Can you translate what this PCM/VCM connection is all about? Should there be a wire going from the TCCM to somewhere other than the encoder motor/switch?"
• I had the same question because it was not talked about in 4 steps originally outlined but then ended up with a lot of conversation.

Thanks

Snowgeek
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Topic author
racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

First, I would like to apologize for all the lost images of this write up. But it is truely out of my hands, thanks Photobucket!! :butthead: But if someone could suggest another image hosting site that will work here, I will try to rebuild what was lost.

And thank you snowgeek for taking the time to try and help out here! :cheers:
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

You can host the images on here. Get with a moderator, and they can update the original post.
On the other site, I have members create a new post in the 'sandbox', copy their original post over to the new post, edit it, then send me the link to both and I copy the new one over the old one.

Pretty much any free host will eventually close or not be free.

Snowgeek

Post by Snowgeek »

Ok Guys, this took a couple of hours but I have all if the information and pictures organized.

You can see this document here as a google doc: Conversion to NP236

I left out a bunch of random conversation to make this a manual but I did leave some Q&A at the bottom.

Please PM me if there are any errors or addition needed in the information.

Again I while I did compile all of the information, restore pictures, and reformat it....... this is all thanks to Racrx7 and Captn' Crunch and their time and energy figuring out this was possible!

Thanks guys

Snowgeek
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase

See my build here

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

Awesome SG! It would be nice to add a link to the thread in the first part of that document :supz:

Topic author
racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Very well done SG!! :supz: I'm sure this will help out tremendously!!
:cheers:
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

Snowgeek

Post by Snowgeek »

racrx7 wrote:
BTW, do you have two connectors, blue and green on yours? You seem to be saying ours are the same. I think the source of the confusion may be this diagram you posted earlier. On the right side it shows a "Vehicle Control Module" and pin 23 on Connector 4...
WOW!!! How did I miss that??!! That diagram is for the older PCM's, which I guess were called "VCM's", that used the older style 4 connectors instead of our two connector 80pin setups.
And yes, I have the blue and green connectors on my '03. SOOOOOO, you'll connect F7-C1 from the TCCM TO pin #16-C2 connector on your PCM.

My apologies for this oversight :dunce: I will have to see if I can find the correct Schematic and do an update. If you can find it on ESI that you are downloading, maybe you can share it?

Good catch on my booboo!! :cheers:
Racrx7 - I kind of understand the information highlighted in red above but am a little confused because I don't see any mention of adding wires to the PCM in the original documentation. Could you tell me where this fits in?

Thanks,

Ryan
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase

See my build here

Topic author
racrx7

Post by racrx7 »

Racrx7 - I kind of understand the information highlighted in red above but am a little confused because I don't see any mention of adding wires to the PCM in the original documentation. Could you tell me where this fits in?
SG, that wire needs to be connected from the TCCM to the ECM, (or PCM, depending on what you wanna call it), to maintain the proper transmission shift points in 4LO. If it isn't hooked up, the transmission will want to stay in first gear. If you look at the last page of your well laid out "how to" manual, you'll see the model year differences on where that ECM wire should go. By the looks of it, F7 from the TCCM orange connector is common among he years. The ECM is what differs on we're the wire should go. I removed a donor wire and pin from a donor harness to make this circuit complete. You'll have to disassemble the coresponding model year connector of your ECM and insert that pin and wire, reassemble it, and make the connection to F7. Make sense?
O3 Astro 4X4
Dropped front IFS axle

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Everyone,

Excellent work documenting the np236 wiring.

Thank you.'
AP

I will fit check my np233 first for use in my 2003 Astro AWD.
The np233 came from 1999 s10 blazer. If it has clocking issue I will go back to pic your part to get np236 from 99 Tahoe or Yukon.