t5 question

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
mtrhead79
I get chills without my van.

t5 question

Post by mtrhead79 »

i have been reading up on the t5. to put a world class in i use the bell housing from the astro and the tail. do i use the ford case and put camaro guts in that or do i use the ford case and the guts and just change the input to a camaro unit. my trans is noisey think a bearing is going. i want to start looking for parts and wont take my time to look for deals on the parts . oh i know i will need a 26 spline clutch i have a spare hays clutch and pressure plate from my camaro.thx for any help.
john 79 camaro, 01 safari, 00 astro , 94 caprice wagon lt1, 89 safari gt

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: t5 question

Post by doyoulikeithere »

you gotta be carefull, but T5 parts or so swappable you can build whay tou need.
there is a GM t5 pattern and a ford t5 pattern, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will find them on the respective brands.
Du-ohh !. I found that out !!
I used to think you could put a camaro WC t5 on an astro bellhousing.
frayd knot.
Turns out, my stock Chevy Astro t5 bellhousings and transmissions all use the ford pattern !
The Camaro and S10 T5 gearboxes ive looked over all use the GM pattern.
in theory, you could Get a good WC T5 from a ford and put the astro tailcone and topcover on it.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
mtrhead79

Post by mtrhead79 »

i was thinking of a wc t5. using a ford main case so it would bolt up to the astro bell and putting the guts from a camaro wc trans in. that way i could use chevy clutch. then the astro tail and cover. i dont think i can use the mustang trans guts because the input and out put shafts would be a pain to get them to hook up

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Ya, Thats right idear.

Camaro input and output shafts are just the right length, but, in a GM style gbx.
Ford makes some super Duper WC Cobra T5s in a ford GBX but the shafts are the wrong lengths, spline counts etc..
A real adventurist, with money, could locate ford WC Cobra T5, and then slide the gearset onto a Camaro WC Camaro Input/Output shaft set.

I traded my nwc astro mainshaft for a nwc s10 4wd mainshaft. Then I used the 4wd s10 tailcone. Now my Astro T5 is 4wd style trans with a transfer case..

T5s are just so interchangeable, just so long as you dont mix up partial gearsets, you can slide complete gearsets onto other output / counter shafts. =D>
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
mtrhead79

Post by mtrhead79 »

thx