just paid a transmission shop to fix the p1870 error code

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
LAZ 1
I get chills without my van.

just paid a transmission shop to fix the p1870 error code

Post by LAZ 1 »

Just bought a new to me 1998 Safri AWD van with 245 Kms. Previous owner did some work [ MOOG front end parts and a posi rear diff ]. Seemed lijke a nice tight vehicle when I test drove it but about 2000 kms later, after coming into town from an hour at hiway speed, I got the notorious HARD shift in 1=>2. Checked the codes, and nothing outstanding stored but a pending 1870 error.

OK fine,
off to my local trans shop, and after atest drive hooked up to his scanner, we sat down to discuss the ins and outs of the leaky valve issue.

SO,
after dropping the pan and finding minimal dirt or iron filings,
they re-bored / installed a new over-sized valve in my trans.
They tell me I should be good to go.

Does $ 575,
with three hundred $$ of the bill as labor [ three hrs ],
sound like too much for this work??

The shop has a great reputation and I am considering using them to build up a heavy duty /bullet proof trans for my spare parts 1998 ASTRO AWD cargo work van.

Any recommendations on what parts and upgrades should go into a HD trans build??
Estimated cost??

I know there are some older threrads about thios topic, but with all the upgrades I am wondering what the current/STATE OF THE ART wisdom recommends??
thanks
LAZ 1
[;{)

ken k
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: just paid a transmission shop to fix the p1870 error cod

Post by ken k »

me being as cheap as i am, i would say thats fair, they could have told you your trans was shot, and around here you would have paid $2500 minimum to rebuild it, in todays world, its good to see someone who can simply "fix" it, rather than replace it