Aftermarket floor mounted hydraulic clutch pedal for gen1

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
tinworm
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Aftermarket floor mounted hydraulic clutch pedal for gen1

Post by tinworm »

just wanted to post a few pics of my installation of some aftermarket JEGS stuff in pursuit of having a reliable 5-speed manual astro and getting around the total lack of a clutch pedal. I struggled hanging a stock astro clutch pedal in a gen 1 (89) without the pivot provision after searching high and low to find one, and ultimately scrapped that whole idea and went completely aftermarket. Weighing the two methods of getting a clutch pedal in, doing the floor mount was considerably easier than hanging a stock pedal.

Also want to say this was done on a subframe spaced lifted van, and some alterations would have to be made on a stock van as the master might be a bit close to the upper control arm.

I used JEGS model 950-340-1289 BRKE/CLTCH PEDAL FLOOR MT, and JEGS model 950-260-3374 M/CYL COMBINATION 3/4"
These items were 66 bucks for the master, and 62 for the pedal. They were separate bought at separate times, but I believe both are available in a kit together for a discount.

complete assembly, also worth mentioning that the master came with two size reservoir options, and parts to make it remote or direct mounted to the master. Its a nice kit
components-

Installation was fairly straight forward, I cut a hole and built a box to mount the pedal level, some pics-

hole cut-

test fit pedal position in sheetmetal box-

finished sheet metal box-

assembly including box-

installed-

the battery is also moved on this van, but the master would come out underneath and a little to the left-

So basically compared to the struggle of trying to build a long term pivot for a later gen 1 van without a pivot already, and trying to get it in the right position, this was a lot simpler for under 200 bucks

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Aftermarket floor mounted hydraulic clutch pedal for gen

Post by Cobra »

Oh that is some useful information thank you.
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone