Cannot shift out of Park 97 Safari AWD

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
morkman
I am merely driving my van

Cannot shift out of Park 97 Safari AWD

Post by morkman »

Went out this morning to run an errand, started the van, buth the shift selector would not move out of Park with engine running and foot on brake. I'm thinking the brake pedal is not telling transmission that it is OK to shift to Reverse or drive and is keeping the tranny locked.
Anyone got any ideas where I should start to troubleshoot?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Cannot shift out of Park 97 Safari AWD

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Try turning the wheel when pushing the brake pedal. It must be the park solenoid not releasing. Haven't heard of anyone else having this issue! Look under the dash on the brake pedal for a couple switches. One is for the TCC/cruise servo and the other should be for the park solenoid. Maybe the switch got moved just enough to not allow the pedal to release it. Hopefully another member has messed with this!

Here is a post from different thread with the same issue...
astromaddox wrote:On the 96 model you have the shift mechanism which is on the column, this has two small rods that attach to it, one is the shift cable which go though the floor and to the selector lever on the transmission, the other go's to the lock-out on the column. I think the lock-out was the problem and when i've forced the lever I've broke the lock-out and snapped the shift lever mechanism. With a little ajustment to the cable I can now get all gears. I now just need to order some parts to finish.

Thanks again, Jamie
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
morkman

Post by morkman »

Thanks for your reply. I had read on another thread about a similar problem on a Chev half ton, which only occurred when it was cold. It was -10C here last night, so I elt the van warm up for 20 minutes, and then went out to try again....presto...shift selector moved smoothly through RNDL without any hitches, back into Park. I wouldn't think of the brake sensor/switch as being temeprature sensitive, but I'll have another look under the pedal again when it get's a little warmer and I'm in a contortionist/claustrophobic mood...lol
Cheers

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Could the shift linkage have been frozen?

leadtrombone
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by leadtrombone »

i second that. It is outside under the vehicle after all and if there was moisture on it before the temp dropped..... could be.
1999 Safari SLE. Stock. Proud owner since May 2010. So far I love it..

P1050479 by leadtrombone, on Flickr

The old cars - my progression to here (most recent first)

1996 Honda Passport
1988 BMW 320i touring
1989 BMW 520
2005 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab
1989 BMW 320i
1990 Toyota Tercel EZ
1991 Mitshubishi Mirage
1970 Mercedes Benz 250 Saloon

Topic author
morkman

Post by morkman »

Anything is possible I guess, but it didn't even budge a bit, felt more like the release solenoid in the steering column (if there is such a thing) wasn't receiving any info from the brake pedal sensor. We'll see how it goes