Tranny Replacement Questions

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
chemist
I finally get the smurf thing

Tranny Replacement Questions

Post by chemist »

My 03 AWD Astro will eventually need a tranny repair--probably sooner than later. I intend to remove and replace. Got questions.

First, will any 4x4, 4L60E tranny work (like out of a Blazer or S10)?

Second, does anyone know of a procedure they can point me to for 4L60E removal and replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT, 4x4, ext, long box
2007 Chevy Cobalt
1998 Maza MPV (180K mi and in need of PA inspection--only paid $500!)

Needed: a Gen 2 Astro project vehicle...

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Tranny Replacement Questions

Post by Smiliesafari »

Haynes manuals are OK. The best are factory service and overhaul manuals. Check Ebay. There's always a bunch on there. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

robertg

Post by robertg »

i picked up my 2 book set for my 2000 van for like 50 bucks about 3 years ago.

ebay is your friend, as has been said.
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

Topic author
chemist

Post by chemist »

Oh, I already have the factory service manual--it's a 2 volume set. $135 from helminc. That said, it's got nothing on the procedures I've been writing, so I was hoping there was a post out there that explained how the job the is done in real life without tool J-XYZ.

If I do end up doing this, I guess I'll write one...

Previous Vans: 1998 Astro, AWD, 138K mi; traded on 2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 125K mi; traded on
2007 Chevy Cobalt

Topic author
chemist

Post by chemist »

So, will any 4x4, 4L60E tranny work (like out of a Blazer or S10)?

2007 Chevy Cobalt

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yes. You will need to get a similar year trans though as there may be some minor differences. A quick search on car-part.com shows only 2003 fits. Not sure why though.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I looked at an old Chilton manual I have for the Astro. There's a pretty good description for the R&R of the transmission. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Look for a rebuild that has a corvette servo and stronger components...might as well be an upgrade! :supz:

Not 3 weeks ago by tranny needed replacing...just 3 days before needing to tow a U-haul to CA. :yikes: It wouldn't shift into 3 or 4 and there was metal in the pan when dropped. I reputable tranny guy said replace it. I couldn't afford him, so I found a company that rebuilds (truly rebuilds, not just refurbishes) many trannies (Allstar Automotive in Denver). Never having done it before, I dove in using the Haynes manual [-o< which worked fine.....this is a HUGE project.
I did't take pictures because this happened 3 days before moving to CA from Denver and I was totally on a mission....as well as my girlfriend! \:D/ GM calls for 9 hours. It took me 16 with Katie under there for 12 :prayer: ....A REAL BONDING EXPERIENCE WITH MY ROCKSTAR CHICK!!! :guitar:
You'll definitely want to rent (if you dont have) a tranny jack, and also have another floor jack to hold up the motor. Many bolts or nuts are 15mm, but you'll need a wide range from 8mm-19mm, I believe. A breaker bar, 2x ratchet extensions and socket elbow are handy too. I highly (highly) recommend having another person to help with the latter steps of removal and then reinstall of the tranny itself. Here's a little idea of what is involved...from memory, so may not be complete and the order is not quite Haynes but will be fine.

1. Block van and put in neutral. (this is important when it comes to the park/neutral switch later)
2. Disconnect neg battery.
3. Jack up van and place on 4 jack stands. It needs to be high enough to roll the tranny out once its down on the jack. I think around 2ft or so, but dont quite remember. We had to "endo" the stand to get the bell housing clear.
4 Drain Tranny. Remove little heat shield passenger side.
4.5. Drain T-case.
5. Remove torsion bars.
6. Remove Front and rear drive shafts.
7. Disconnect 3x O2 sensors at connector side since exhaust will have to be dropped.
8. Disconnect starter (don't have to do the wires) and wire it to the body. Now you can get to the torque converter bolts.
9. Disconnect TC (3 bolts I think) You have to rotate fly wheel, I used a large screw driver in the little window that has the removable tab...drivers side bottom bell housing.
10. Disconnect speed sensor from T-case
11. Disconnect shifter cable from park/neutral switch.
11.5. Disconnect plugs from park neutral switch (these are very hard to remove for some reason. I was able to wiggle wiggle wiggle them loose but be careful not to pull out wires, I guess this happens a lot. Someone recommended a heat gun to loosen up the internal electric grease, but I didnt have one). **Also, not the little hash mark that indicates neutral because you WILL HAVE TO re-align this when putting the switch back on.
12. Disconnect exhaust at manifolds.
13. Place jack under T-case and remove mounting nuts from crossmember.
14. Remove cross member.
15. Slide exhaust off rubber mounts and lower (I had to lower my entire exhaust because it is one unit).I guess yo could also cut the exhaust with a pipe cutter and refit it with sleeves during the re-install.
16. Slide tranny jack into place and support tranny. Can now take other jack around to under motor. I placed wood in between the oil pan and used that to support motor.
17. Unbolt tranny (I think 6 bolts, 2 are on top and hard to see. Need extensions for ratchet)
18. Pull er' back, lower and pull out.
19. Disconnect t-case adapter from tranny (t-case is still connected, no need to disconnect that from adapter)
20. Clean surfaces then connect t-case/adapter to new tranny using new gasket.
21. ******Reinstall tranny making sure torque converter is properly placed as far back into bell housing as possible. If not, you will have a mis-stab and will fry your oil pump gear-thing. To do this push the TC all the way back into the housing so that when you reach fingers around perimeter, there is no gap. You will also do this just before actually moving close to bolt up, just in case it shifted during your many attempts to align the damn thing with the 2 tiny alignments posts on the motor.
22. Pretty much everything in reverse but take care on these 2 steps..
1. When threading the torque converter bolts, you should barely be able to. This means the TC is back far enough into the bell housing. The bolts will pull it forward just enough.
2. When installing the park/neutral switch, make sure the hash mark is aligned at neutral. If not, I think its click it all the way back, then 2 forward. You can use a wrench (12mm?) to do this. Remember PRND21. You'll know which is reverse out of park since its more of a click than the others.

**Be prepared to spend more time than you think realigning things like the tranny and exhaust.

So get this...I had it all back together, filled it and started it and cycled it through gears as directed..and it didn't work!! Wouldn't shift into gear!! I knew I took extra special care during the 2 technical cruxes so I was at a loss. #-o Had it towed to the rebuild shop and they first assumed I mis-stabbed the TC, which I was sure I did not. [-X I actually got a little pissed at them. When they dropped the pan, the fluid filter was cracked, so fluid wasn't flowing. I was so happy it was their faulty part :butthead: and not my amateur mistake!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

There you go! From memory...my brain hurts!!

hope this gives you an idea of the scope of this project...it was a major accomplishment for me....and my girl who had never even changed oil before.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

What...no "thank you"?
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

thank you. there Gabe feel better? Actually that was a very good write up. I hadn't seen it before till your feelings got hurt... :poke: :D
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Thanks for the info Gabe, its appreciated :supz:

Sometimes posts just get missed or not checked for updates then it appears as tho no-one cares due to the lack of responses, but like I said sometimes they just get missed, happens to all of us at different times. :cheers:

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

kings-x59 wrote: before till
I really must get a better typist.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Yup...feelin' much better. Was starting to feel all alone in this world! 8-[
2004 Astro AWD

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

FYI: The TC is acting up and is under warranty, but labor is not! This means I'll be dropping the damn tranny again. At least now I have a 1/2" impact wrench!
2004 Astro AWD

peelers
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by peelers »

yeah, re-built 4L60E.. should replace the sun shell. the beast kit is popular.

http://racetransmissions.com/store/prod ... cts_id/692
2000 Astro AWD/Volant Cool Air Intake/Gibson Cat Back Exhaust/External Trans Cooler/3.73/Dog Kennel-Surf/Snow Mobber-Travel Trailer Puller-Machine --- AKA Vanessa