Trans swap

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Trans swap

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Well like my mom used to say " If wish's were horses-beggers would ride". When my tranny started acting up I did a flush, filter and new servo. It wasn't enough so this past Saturday I put in a used 4l60e. I have access to my brothers auto sales and service that has everything a guy could ask for. So I ask " where's the tranny jack?" "I haven't done a tranny in five years-I gave it away." Bummer for me. Yankee engineering and 13 hours and all is well. Good used unit shifts fine and I'm happy-sore but happy.
I have been working towards 4x4 with this van and last winter put the guts from an np236 into a 136 case just because... While everything was out anyway it seemed like a good time to throw it in. Everything bolted up sweet as could be. Of course the wiring is different so the fuse is out for now. The next day or so I will be picking up the required section of harness from an S-10 4x4 and will be trying to access low range.
I still need to pull the center chunk out of the cast iron front diff and get that mailed to Engineered Performance for his limited slip upgrade. Power to all four wheels and low range is getting closer!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Trans swap

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Captain Crunch,

That will be nice if the NP236 2 speed T case internals actually fit in the NP136 case.
Did you already post some photos?

AP

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Trans swap

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I know-I suck- no pics! But in an effort to make up for it let me explain. The 136 and 236 are identical cases on the outside and almost identical on the inside. If you were to look at the parts breakdown of the two units you will notice no difference other than the added parts for low range. There is a ring pressed into the front half of the two speed case that is missing in the 136. It's referred to as the nv ring. I had a bad 136 and a cracked 236 so with the help of a friend we combined them. We cut the ring out of the 236's cracked front half and pressed it into the front of the 136. All the internals fit in the 136 with its nv ring. I was going to swap over the encoder motor and all other items from my functional 136 but I was beyond exhausted and chose to just pull the fuse and get home.
I am in the process of obtaining the wiring harness and incorporating it into my vans system. If I had swapped over the motor from my 136 I might have procrastinated on the harness. Now I've got to move on it as I have no awd at all. Once again sorry about the lack of photo documentation. I can take a picture of my busted knuckles as proof
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s