dash coming apart 2002 safari

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
anisam4jesus
I am merely driving my van

dash coming apart 2002 safari

Post by anisam4jesus »

The pad on my dash board on my 02 Safari SLE is beginning to separate, does any one have an idea on how i can keep it from coming apart, any special kind of adhesive?

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: dash coming apart 2002 safari

Post by CaptSquid »

Separate how? Do you mean the vinyl cover is splitting? If so, all you need is a vinyl repair kit from any parts jobber. If the foam underlayment is splitting, then you need, in addition to the vinyl repair kit, a SHARP knife and some silicone in a tube, preferably clear.

Start out by using the sharp knife (I do mean REALLY SHARP) to give you clean edges on both sides of the split.

Fill the gap with the silicone.

When dry, repair the cover with the repair kit contents.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Ozarker

Re: dash coming apart 2002 safari

Post by Ozarker »

My 01 Astro has a similar issue, the top of the dash above the steering wheel over the instrument cluster is raising up separating from the lower dash face causing a small gap at the top of the arch.

I could use some 3M (5200 I think it is) and "caulk" the gap with weight on top of the dash......but, my dash panels would be glued together, not good if I ever need access to my instrument cluster.

My solution will probably be to use a chrome or black edge molding, possibly door edge molding, and lay that into the recessed area between the dash sections and follow that contour across the entire dash. I'll attach it to either the top or bottom piece so the dash can still be removed.

Another solution is to wrap the upper dash (and more on the ps side) with vinal or leather, the thickness of the material will fix any separation gap. That's a lot of work too!

The easy way is to use trim, add some style and relief to the dash.

I'm going to paint my dash inserts/ps side on the face of the dash and high light door and rear trim panels to match.

Or, you could spend $250 on a new wood dash overlay kit. :guitar: