No power from 12v outlets

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
Taylorpdx
I am smitten with my van

No power from 12v outlets

Post by Taylorpdx »

So I have been searching the forum for a thread about this and didn't turn anything up, So I'll just ask.
I discovered that my front two power outlets and the cigarrette lighter have no juice, the rear outlet works just fine.
I checked fuses in the under dash fusebox and tested the outlets with a voltage meter with the ignition key in all positions and still no luck. Anything else I should check before I open up the doghouse to look at the wiring behind there? Anyone else have this happen?
1999 GMC Safari RWD - Currently converting to camper

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: No power from 12v outlets

Post by Drummernaut »

Funny you mention this. I did a mod were I needed to get to the back of the CD player last weekend. There is one connection for the cig lighter, two 12V plugs and the glove box light. I am going to guess you glove box light does not work either.

If so you will have to open it up and check that one connector. You can see the orange and black wires on the right side of the housing. Normally I would post a better one here but I am not on my main computer.

http://www.astrosafari.com/download/fil ... &mode=view

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Did you check the fuses in the under-dash fuse box. I con't remember where the power is fed from. Also check the connection Drummernaut mentioned.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Taylorpdx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Taylorpdx »

Hmm, I don't even see any light fixture in my glovebox at all. Where would it normally be located in the box?
The previous owner did swap out the stereo, so I'm thinking that he might have botched the connection when he was in there. I'm going in today and I'll let you know what I find.
The fuse box was the first thing I checked.

Drummernaut

Post by Drummernaut »

When you open the glove box there should be a switch on the upper right. The door pushes it to turn the light off. The light is right behind the switch.

Also, when you zoom in and look at the picture I posted, there is what appears to be a black screw sticking up behind the ashtray. That is the mount for connector you are looking for when you pull back the console.

Topic author
Taylorpdx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Taylorpdx »

Drummernaut; you where right about the connector, plugged it back in and the light came right on.
Now I've got a new issue, The lighter has full power, but the two power outlets only have about .5 volts of power. I checked all the wiring I could get at, and it looks in good condition. Any clues to what is causing this?

Drummernaut

Post by Drummernaut »

Where are you checking for voltage? I would unplug the wire on the back of both the outlets and check voltage at the wire to make sure the neither of the outlets has a shorting problem. May be that is why they were disconnected? I am not sure. Re-check your fuses, see if they are blown

My cig lighter has a short so I unplugged the back connector since I didn't need it.

Topic author
Taylorpdx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Taylorpdx »

Thats exactly what came into my head after I posted that, and once again, correct. The #7 fuse is blown, so I got a short somewhere in the outlet wiring/outlets. I guess tomorrow I'll dive back in and try and find the exact location of it. Hopefully I'll get lucky and it will be the connection directly to the outlet.

Topic author
Taylorpdx
I am smitten with my van

Post by Taylorpdx »

Well it was an even easier fix than I had hoped for. I checked the continuity of the wiring behind the glovebox, and between the connector and the fuse box and it was fine. Replaced the fuse, and we are back in business! full voltage on all outlets, light works fine and the fuses don't blow. I must have just shorted a wire inside of one of the connectors when I hooked it back up, and since the lighter has its own fuse that one still worked fine.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Drummernaut

Post by Drummernaut »

Happy to help. Glad you got it fixed.